• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it worth getting an One X now?

mgarm

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
Hey everyone
This my first post on here, cause I usually find all the answers to all my questions already posted :D. (Not this time though :p)

I currently own a 3-4 year old HTC Desire. I loved it, because it was powerful at its time, had a decent design, decent features and had HTC sense <3. However I feel that its too old now and its time to upgrade especially as the volume buttons don't function properly anymore and the battery is pretty much dead. :mad:

Thats why i decided to upgrade. My current budget isn't much (250$) thus when looking for a phone (mainly HTC phones) One X seemed to have best price/specs balance. It features a quad core 1.5 ghz cpu which still more powerful than some of the current HTC handsets that cost way more.

I want to know if One X functions without lags/freezes on 4.2.2 official rom (or 4.4 xda roms)? Is it able to play heavy 3d games without lags? and if so how long will it be considered powerful? And to what phone would you upgrade if you had a HTC Desire and a tight budget?

Sorry for such a long post :eek: tried to make it as short as possible. :(

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

My HTC ran wonderfully till the screen met a sidewalk... However, one thing to keep in mind is that your baseline with a HOX/HOXL is that it will start as a two year old phone.

It's a good option, but if I were you I would consider the moto X/G/E. If you can find one that has the right bands for your carrier, you can get a brand new phone that runs smooth and has good battery life for well under your budget with the G and E, and the X you can probably get around that on sale or slightly used. If i was you on your budget, I would look into a slightly used moto X or a moto G new.

Upvote 0
I'd agree with GuitarG20. I love my One X, but I'm not sure I'd buy it if I were buying a new/second hand phone today. It runs all the games I've thrown at it, it is plenty powerful enough for day to day use, the screen is good to look at for extended periods, camera isn't bad and I find 32gb enough for my use. But battery life isn't great (I suspect the battery is getting towards the end of its life at nearly 2 years old). I run the stock version of Android 4.2.2 and really like Blinkfeed and Sense 5, doesn't seem at all laggy to me.

That said, I have seen them go in good condition for as little as

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones