1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Is K-9 email the best it gets on android?

Last Updated:

1. celticdroid

celticdroid New Member This Topic's Starter

Been searching forums and the internet for an email client for Android, more specifically the Moto Droid. Is K-9 the best it gets? Are there no other options besides the default client and K-9? I don't need Exchange features, although my wife does. Thanks,

CD

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I've not found anything that is even half-way as good as K-9 - it does just about everything I want in an email client.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

IMHO yes right now it is the best and continues to get better.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

What are you looking for in an email app that isn't met by K9?

5. jev

jev Well-Known Member

I don't want to hijack this thread, but is there a way to tell K-9 to thread messages? My inbox contains several "conversations" (to use the standard Mail app lingo) but in K-9 I only see the individual mails.

6. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Far as I can see, there's no way to have a threaded view in K-9 Mail.

7. del2484

del2484 Well-Known Member

Deleted

8. scottb

scottb Member

K9 is a nice app but it seems to drain my battery even faster than it normally does without it. MailDroid is a pretty good app too. The developer is is pretty active and implements a lot of suggestions from users.

9. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Touchdown. I would make mad love to it if I could.

10. lesliegodwin

lesliegodwin Member

Is there any way to put a widget or shortcut on the desktop to compose email (blank)?
    Thanks so much for any help
    Leslie
    Evo owner

11. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this question, too. K9 is pretty decent, but one thing that really aggravates me is that it shows 25 messages at a time, so you get a new message, message #26 gets bumped. I'm fine with that. But then you delete message #1, and it reloads message #26, which is now #25, and it shows you that you have new mail. It's not new mail. It encourages me to never delete email is what it does.

12. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

You can set it to show up to 1000 messages. Go to the inbox of the account in question, then press Menu->More->Settings->Account Settings->Number of Messages to... and choose from 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 or 1000.

jd

13. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the thing is, I'm fine with it only showing 25. I just wish that it could tell what is really a new message and what is an old message that it's redisplaying. And I'm awful about cleaning up my inbox, so I'm sure there are more than 1000 messages, and I'd just run into the same problem.

14. parlayguy

parlayguy Active Member

Do any of these mail apps (K9, Touchdown, etc.) allow you to selectively delete messages from your POP3 server. I've been using the default email app and it doesn't. I used to have a Blackberry and when I deleted each email (or a bunch at one time) I could select to delete only from my BB or from the server also. This was nice because I could delete the junk from the server and when I went home to my computer and got my email, the junk would not be there.

The default Droid email app seems to only let you select this as an application wide preference, not on each email.

15. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I think that's a configurable option on K9.

16. parlayguy

parlayguy Active Member

Configurable, in that it always or never does it, or selectable by mail message?

Also, where does one get the K9 app. I can't find it on the Android market.

17. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Oh, ok, I misunderstood your question because I read too fast before. Yes, it's just a global setting in K9. If you're having trouble finding it in the market, make sure you search for "k-9" and not "k9."

18. 1Paladin

1Paladin Active Member

MailDroid is the one to watch. It is already as good (=>), or very close, to K-9 and the developer is making great strides in improving it. I have been using it pretty much full time now over K-9.

I would highly recommend you give that one a try, it is reported to be even better than K-9 for pushing email from not only Gmail but yahoo etc... it is also better on CPU.

19. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

Thanks Paladin. I did try it, and don't find it near as full-featured as K-9 for what I need. It does some things very well, but is missing things that I really need (select all, delete button visible all the time, readmail button visible, ringtone per account, set it to open to a particular account, etc.)

I'll keep an eye on it, though.

jd

20. Upright

Upright Well-Known Member

The thing I don't like about MailDroid is that everytime you open the app you have to choose the mail account then it opens the inbox,...it should automatically open to the primary account inbox.

21. cannadroid6203

cannadroid6203 Active Member

I had a hard time finding an email app that did a good job at pulling from all my accounts. I finally gave up and just set all my accounts to forward to my gmail account. The gmail app that comes with the phone works flawlessly. It's a little short on options, but works well for what I need...

22. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I tried MailDroid after reading about it in this thread. I was also annoyed at having to choose my account every time, especially when I only had one account. I would have liked a "mark all read" feature like K9 has, and it was actually pretty slow to load up my message list. Other than that, I liked the presentation better than K9, although I wish both offered a white on black appearance.

23. 1Paladin

1Paladin Active Member

The MailDroid developer is working hard on adding all kinds of features it seems. He is pretty active in a thread on another forum. I think it will do everything everyone wants.

24. MDbandit

MDbandit Well-Known Member

i would like an email program that pulls say , gmail, yahoo, msn email etc, but instead of choosing which email i want to view, for it to view all the email for all counts in one long list in time order. K-9 seems to do this but i get duplicate email and stuff in that integrated folder feature

25. Lizzrd

Lizzrd Well-Known Member