1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Is K9 still the way to view emails?

Last Updated:

1. lukebr

lukebr Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys and gals

Im using the stock email client but have heard everyone bang on about how good K9 is but all the features that people seemed to talk about that makes it better than the stock email i already have in my stock email on my motorola milestone (droid).

So my question is for the people that are currently still running K9 on their device that is on 2.1 or 2.2 and why they are running it and whether i should move across to it.

I have a corporate exchange account that i check in the stock email app and a gmail account that i check using the standard gmail app.

I use Tasker to control the times when i sync the emails (ie every minute when at work but only every 30mins when at home etc)

cheers guys

Advertisement
  2. lukebr

lukebr Member This Topic's Starter

bump

3. Leafgreen

Leafgreen Active Member

Absolutely. Integrated inbox is awesome. I use it with my Evo. 6 out of 5 stars LOL. Best out there and it's open source. Devs. are great.

4. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

K-9 is still my preferred e-mail app but as I receive some big attachments in work e-mails (5mb) I've had to stop using it now and have to use GMail to manage my work account because K-9 automatically downloads all of those attachments. Some days I've had to delete messages as they come in to prevent all of my free phone memory being eaten up. However, I still prefer to use K-9 for personal e-mail and will switch my work account back to it once I can set it to not download those big attachments. There is an option in the K-9 settings to limit the size of the auto download but it doesn't appear to be working yet. Similarly I'll be pleased when the "spam" button is activated. In spite of those things, I'd still recommend it.

Steve.

5. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

I'm not impressed with K9. I used it for about a month and it had some advantages over the stock app, but it had its draw backs too. Its basically like most any other app - your mileage may vary based on your own preferences. Mine said it was not worth bothering with as it did not solve what I wanted.

6. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

i gave it a shot, but since gmail is all i use, even on my computer, i have no reason to not just use gmail on my phone. the one thing i dont like about k9 is that a large number of my daily emails are sent out to my class of 100 people, and to get to the actual email, you have to scroll through 100 email addresses. with gmail, it just shows the first 5 or 6 and gets straight to the message.

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It's not a one-size-fits-all world. If you are curious about K9 then take it for a spin.

8. Frank_Toronto

Frank_Toronto Well-Known Member

If you need to manage multiple accounts as I do, the integrated inbox in K-9 is invaluable.

9. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

I'm currently giving K9 a try, been using it for a few days. It doesn't really impress me over the standard email (Samsung Vibrant), but it does seem to push emails faster than the stock app.

The Samsung standard email also has integrated inboxes, so having that with K9 isn't anything new.

10. namoroman

namoroman Well-Known Member

I've been using Seven Mail for a few days now, and love it.

11. gparadox

gparadox Well-Known Member

Does K9 use Push from gmail to get email automatically? Or do I have to set it up to check for updates?