Is Launcher Pro Plus faster/smoother than ADW?

Last Updated:

1. Btros

Btros Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using ADW because I like the easy cookie cutter themes but I notice it lags sometimes when switching between screens and sometimes icons and widgets will disappear then reappear as the screens load. I tried the free version of Launcher Pro and as I was setting up the screens it felt like it was smoother. But that could have been because I didn't have anything on them yet. I know most people here use Launcher Pro - is it because it is faster or smoother? I can almost get away with using the free version but I need to be able to resize widgets.

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i prefer LP over ADW. i use LP plus and love it. it has always seemed smoother and faster for me.

Btros likes this.
  3. imadreamer143

imadreamer143 Active Member

LP works wonders. I absolutely love it. I tried using adw for a little while for something new when I was bored and it was awful.

4. bostoniansurvivor

bostoniansurvivor Well-Known Member

I used ADW for awhile before I got tired of the lag issues and tried LP. Never looked back. LP is much smoother and more customizable.

Btros likes this.
  5. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I opted for ADW on my first X, which ran like butter on it (that is until it was plagued with several dead pixels and returned promptly). I than decided to try out LP with my new X, which ran very smoothly, until a few updates, at which time I switched back to ADW and noticed not a single bit of lag.

Of course I couldn't say no to LPP after testing it out on a friend's Droid, and with a considerable amount of support behind it from the developer, I knew I had to have it. I haven't touched ADW since I first downloaded LPP, but I notice lag here and there consistently (nothing major mind you), but I've thought about going back to ADW every now and again.

6. jenc414

jenc414 Member

I'm using LP...where do I find LP Plus? looked on the market and can't seem to find it. help please?

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I never had any issues with adw, I love that you can download themes for it. I LOVED the transparent app drawer. It ran really smooth for me as well. LPP won me over with the widgets! The only thing LPP doesn't have is the transparent app drawer, but the dev is working on it and it should be in his release of his built from scratch launcher.

8. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

Jenc414:

Due to the Android Market's limited pool of countries you can make direct payments to, you need to buy LP Plus via the developers website using PayPal.

Keep the unpaid version of LP on your phone. When you PayPal the developer via his website, it will automatically send you an unlock key for LP Plus. I purchased Plus for 2 phones and had my key within minutes each time.

LP Plus is great and the developer is very responsive.

Introducing the new LauncherPro Plus!

mcoomer likes this.
  9. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

Lpp lagged horribly for me after froyo update, I had to remove it

10. AndroidX2.2

AndroidX2.2 Member

The only problem I've had with LPP lagging is when I had both widget locker and LPP running. For some reason widget locker slowed down my phone and was kinda of a pain to use while using a passcode to lock the phone. LPP out weighs widget locker hands down so I stopped using and now I couldn't be happier with LPP.

11. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Member

Using LPP

It's lagged on me several times...I can't seem to pinpoint the problem I removed the LPP social networking widget thinking that was the problem. I've reduced the amount of home pages I have down to 4.

I don't know the correct terminology to use but the screen won't adjust from turning it from side to side to upright and what not. Sometimes I have to put it to sleep and then awake for it to unfreeze. I've had to completely reboot the phone a couple times. Owned it a week.

Apps I'm using

LPP
    Lookout Security
    Barcode
    Ringdroid
    Picasa Tools
    Dolphin HD
    3 Music
    Retro Camera

LPP Widgets I'm currently using:

People & Calendar

Other widgets...

Stock Social Networking
    Stock Weather
    Stock Toggles
    Android Market widget (non-stock)
    3 Music player (small)

12. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

have you removed the widgets from the stock launcher screen?

Animal Mother likes this.
  13. AndroidX2.2

AndroidX2.2 Member

Its called Auto-rotation, the screen orientation rotates when the phone is tilted.

I also had a problem with this feature, it was rather annoying so I disabled it.

It can found by going to your home screen, press the options hardware button (not sure what its called), click Preferences, click Behavior settings, and uncheck "Enable Auto-rotation".

This should help with the lag also.

14. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Crap, you beat me to it.

Use Home Switcher to switch back to your Blur screens and remove the widgets b/c they continue to run in the background, even tho you can't see them with LP/ADW running. Regular shortcuts can stay b/c they do nothin.

15. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I switched from LPP to ADW for one reason only. I use folders a LOT! ADW was the only app I could find that would close a folder after selecting something in it. Other than that, they worked the same for me.

16. colchiro

Maybe you should try Folder Organizer.

You can create a link to a folder or just a folder with a link to the rest of the content that doesn't fit.

There's other versions as well: Android apps by Fabio Collini

17. Teegunn

Teegunn Well-Known Member

Having used both ADW and LP, I found ADW a tad bit snappier. I use the sense theme on ADW and really like it. I believe any launcher can have some lag issues running over a stock UI. I suppose I could try LP again just to compare, but I'm happy with ADW so probably won't.

18. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

LPP was buggy on my phone. And lagged. ADW is the better choice.

19. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Member

Ok...yeah I downloaded home switcher and went in and got rid of a bunch of stuff that I did initially when I got the phone while playing with it. Seems a lot snappier now.

Auto-Rotation was already enabled

20. colchiro

Might want to reboot to unload any of those apps from memory.

21. Sek0n

Sek0n Well-Known Member

I used nothing but LPP from the time i switched over to android. (DInc then DX) But as of last week I switched to ADW. Just feels smoother/faster to me, and I'm happy with the options and customizations with it.

So, my answer would be ADW. lol

22. Btros

Btros Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the comments guys...mixed bag of reviews so far...guess I will give LPP a shot for a while. It seems faster but I haven't loaded all my widgets onto it yet. I also like the LPP widgets and having 5 icons in the dock.

23. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

ADW is way better. The themes are awesome and I can't imagine not having them. I see no reason to use LPP over ADW as far as customizing or performance!

24. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i have 7 screens full of widgets and i have no lag. i used ADW on my D1 when it came out and every time they do a major update i try to check it out but i always come back the LPP. cookie cutter themes are a nice option with ADW but you can customize LP yourself.
    Since all phones are not equal and it depends on what apps you have(running) it really is a personal choice of what runs best for you. there really is no way anyone could say that one is better than the other. it is purely each persons opinion. Even the hardcore rom and app developers are split about 50/50 with which they prefer.

25. wabadroid

wabadroid Member

ADW...I have a Droid X and gave LP plus a weeks try, noticed significant battery drain, can't explain but switched to ADW and battery lasting longer and so far, love it.
    Love the themes, love the 2nd dock that can be revealed by pushing up the first with all the docks that can be loaded...ADW hands down for me..