1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Is Music Bought on Google Music DRM-Protected?

1. KaskaA

KaskaA Member

I'm a religious user of Google Music, but I haven't yet started purchasing music with it. I know that when you purchase music it gets automatically added to your account, and I also know you can then download those songs to a computer, but do you know if those songs are then DRM-protected? Also, can you download those purchased songs to an unlimited number of computers? Thanks for your help

Advertisement
  2. KaskaA

KaskaA Member

3. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

No it is not.

You can download music all you want using the GM app, but only 2 times directly. I just download what I buy, send it to my Dropbox and from there I can do whatever I want as many times as I want on any computer i want.
    JunBringer likes this.
  4. darkuni

darkuni Well-Known Member

All music (so far, anyway) is 320bit MP3 files. No DRM.

One of the only things I'd like to see Google Music do is offer quality selection. Personally? I'm good at 192. Amazon Music is 256.

Good stuff all the same.
  5. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

There is protection, but not on the files themselves. Google Music will take control of playlists and hide any cloud-sync'd mp3s in a special folder with numbers for names (eg. 100.mp3, 101.mp3, 102.mp3, etc)
  6. darkuni

darkuni Well-Known Member

Oh, I assumed he was asking about doing the manual download - were the files protected that he downloaded.

The app itself does it's own voodoo :)

One more reason to use Subsonic.
    alostpacket likes this.