is my desire unlocked

Last Updated:

1. gcairns84

gcairns84 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey peps wanting to know. Got desire from carphone warephone, no branded network or anything from what i can tell.

Is the software code 1.21.405.2 unlocked or branded?

Advertisement
  2. Selespeed

Selespeed Well-Known Member

That's the generic software number so like me you are unlocked and unbranded

3. WattsvilleBlues

WattsvilleBlues Member

My girlfriend got her Desire from Carphone Warehouse and she's on O2 UK. I checked last night but there was no update available. Will O2 be shipping Android 2.2 out or is it HTC? If it's the latter, when will the update be pushed out?

This is also relevant for me as I'm getting a Desire next Friday and want to know if I get the phone through Carphone Warehouse, am I likely to get updates sooner than I would through Orange UK?

Cheers.

4. gcairns84

From what ive read htc unlocked desires are first. Tjen each network i releasing it after thqt at some point once they do there thing to it.

WattsvilleBlues likes this.
  5. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

it all depends on whether the phone is branded or not. if it is branded, then you will have to wait until the carrier decides to release 2.2, (t-mobile is apparently releasing it in september.)

if you get the desire through carphonewarehouse and it is unbranded, compared to a branded orange desire, then yes, you should get the update soon. but thats provided that it is unbranded.

6. WattsvilleBlues

WattsvilleBlues Member

Right, so any way to guarantee I'd be getting an unbranded Orange phone? Would it have the Orange badge on it or might it not be as easy to spot as that?

7. gcairns84

Best thing i can think of is askin for an unbranded one. From again reading it mainly by lookin at the software on the pyone as orange are meant to load it full of rubbish of there own.
    Where htc ones only have the basic load and an htc load screen

8. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

it would have an orange start up, and the software release keys will be different iirc.. please somebody correct me if im wrong..

orange heavily brand their phones, so im not sure whether it makes a difference if you're getting it through carphonewarehouse or not.. you could always ask them before you get it and if they lie to you, make some noise about it? :p

9. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

If you get a desire through Carphone warehouse on any network it will be an unlocked & unbranded handset.

10. WattsvilleBlues

WattsvilleBlues Member

So it will be among the first to get Froyo?

11. anoniemouse

Thats what htc are saying, some people are reporting they are getting the updates now by checking.

12. WattsvilleBlues

WattsvilleBlues Member

Yep, downloading Froyo now on my girlfriend's Carphone Warehouse-bought O2 UK Desire. Did a manual check for updates.

I take it that when Android 3.0 ships, that will not be back-ported to existing handsets? Or is there little information available on it at present?

Edit: 90MB download for the interested.

13. anoniemouse

According to the minimum specs the desire can run gingerbread, but i can't see HTC doing a version for the desire.
    Gingerbread will more than likely be available to anyone with a rooted phone, with adequate specs.

14. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member

I just got my desire...bought it from someone who got a upgrade from t mobile..so of course i was like imma have to get this unlocked..i put my orange sim in and it worked.i have the same build number so iam lucky that its unlocked & unbranded. thank god for that. gorgeous phone