Is my Galaxy Note Unlocked?General

1. tmags2

tmags2 Active Member

I bought a used Galaxy Note 4G LTE (at&t). The previous owner used a Straight Talk sim card. When I bought the Note I also used Straight Talk for a couple months. I have a friend who would like to buy my Note if it is Unlocked. How do I know if it is unlocked?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Kyrotech

Kyrotech Well-Known Member

you can always just put another SIM card other than AT&T, if it works then it should be unlocked...
  3. tmags2

tmags2 Active Member

Not totally sure what you mean by if it works. I did put an old Verizon sim card in and got the screen: Enter Network Lock Control Key

Now I know Verizon won't work because it's CMDA.

I have used Straight Talk on this Phone, so does that mean it is unlocked?
  4. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Well-Known Member

I think AT&T phones work without unlocking on Straight Talk. Put in a T-Mobile sim and if it doesn't ask you for a code when you turn it on then it's unlocked.
  5. tmags2

tmags2 Active Member

Now I understand. Next question, if I go to T-Mobile, will they just give me one or do they charge for them? Do i then have to sign up for service at that time?

Thanks
  6. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Well-Known Member

If you want to just unlock the phone I would try to find a friend with a T-Mobile sim. I don't think T-Mobile will give you one to just unlock an AT&T phone but who knows maybe someone that works there will let you do it. You'll also need the unlock code either from AT&T or from a pay site.
  7. chriskwarren

chriskwarren Active Member

Head to your local mall and ask a mobile store if they can check for you (if you can't find a friend who currently has a GSM phone).

In my area, there is a mobile accessory store who pointed me to a Fido booth that did it for anyone no problem.
  8. Kyrotech

sorry, I meant, put another SIM card from a different provider and try to make a call, if it goes through, then you have an unlocked phone
  9. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

so now i'm really confused.

i was originally thinking of picking up one of these, but didn't know which one:
    Samsung-Galaxy-Unlocked-Android-Smartphone

Samsung-GT-N7000-Unlocked-Phone--International-Version

so i decided to call Verizon. i ended up speaking with a Verizon Global Representative earlier today. i gave her the situation of traveling outside the US and purchasing this phone. she told me that if i bought an International Unlocked Galaxy Note, i could activate it on Verizon because of its LTE compatibility and quad-band.

but then researching online, and this post, it's not possible?

any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Kindie75 likes this.
  10. Kyrotech

Quick resume -

the i7000 is 4g only and the i717 is LTE/4g compatible

you can always just pick up a Note i717 and have it unlocked via any website or your local cellular accessory shop
  11. QueenSahara

QueenSahara New Member

Hi, I have this Galaxy Note from AT&T. Is it true that I only need to put the StraightTalk sim in and that there is no need for unlocking since ST and AT&T use the same towers?
  12. LittleRedDot

LittleRedDot Well-Known Member

The real question is why do you want to sell your note at all?
  13. djedgarftw

djedgarftw Well-Known Member

Well straight talk has a sim specially for AT&T so you won't have to unlock it.
    QueenSahara likes this.
  14. QueenSahara

QueenSahara New Member

Hi, will I be able to text and send/receive pics (mms) and use the data without doing any fancy configuring? (to my Galaxy Note)
  15. djedgarftw

You will only have to set your apn which is really simple

Edit: you can use this app called tweakker that sets the apn you can get it on the play store here ------> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakker

It will be under other
  16. djedgarftw

Ok so i just got my att card today and i activated it really simple just a few clicks some info and u was done. I used thecar on my still locked att phone and i set the apn with the app easily.