• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help is my netgear wnr2000v3 router dying?

AP2FTW

Android Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2012
hi all...so i came home the other day and my modem from att uverse (nvg589) was completely dead...no lights on it or anything. luckily i thought, my router is ok because all its lights were on...

so i got a new modem from uverse but now its an nvg599...at first i thought it might be the newer modem giving me issues but now im thinking my router is just dying also...

when i hooked up the passthrough from the modem to the router i had no problems getting a wifi signal out of my netgear, however when i hooked my desktop to any lan port on the router i cant get on the internet or ping the router despite being connected to it.

at first i thought maybe i configured something wrong, but now i have lost my wifi signal twice from the netgear, but power cycling has got it working again...so now im thinking the router also took some damage and is about to die as well...can anyone confirm my thoughts?

It's hard to tell without having it here, but if power cycling it will bring it back breifly, then I'd have to agree that it's got a hardware fault somewhere.
it just boggles my mind that the wan port works on it yet all of the lan ports dont...and now with it losing the wifi signal im even more confused...yet at the same time i feel i have to assume whatever fried the modem also affected the router...

when you say without having it here, what would you do to troubleshoot? open it up? or? anything you can suggest i try? a hard reset didnt work...but maybe i didnt do something right?

Upvote 0
If the problem is constant and repeatable, the first things I'd do is to reset it to factory settings and update the firmware. If the problems persist, then you're probably right that something got fried.

I see this sort of thing all the time. My sister-in-law has gone through several modem/routers in what I would consider a very short period. All fried. My suggestion was to get some kind of power conditioning and surge protection on not only the electricity, but on the cable input as well and on every device connected to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones