Is my ordered desire original or fake?

1. asdffdsa32

asdffdsa32 New Member

Hi i bought Htc Desire from ebay from uk seller and i am waiting for him to ship it to me on monday. I asked for serial and imei numbers and also he sent some pics. It seems that mobile was ok but when i went to check Imei number on International Numbering Plans, 2001-2011 it said: Mobile Equipment Type HTC Desire G7 (A8181)
    i am confused about that "G7" as when i searched google it seems that G7 are some chinese clones of HTC Desire. When i tried imei number of my brothers desire on the same site it showed just HTC Desire A8181 without G7. Do i have a reason to worry?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. tictactaylor

tictactaylor New Member

It's a clone I believe. Has windows mobile 6.5 as o/s. HTC Desire G7/A8181 is very confusing but a google search does indeed show it for what it is. Best of luck though, get your cash back I recommend.
    asdffdsa32 likes this.
  3. tictactaylor

tictactaylor New Member

Just a quick thought, the Desire is available in the UK for only
    asdffdsa32 likes this.
  4. When you get it don't accept the package as it will be send back to the sender. Then tell him to credit you back or file claim. Have to love eBay and people that is in it lol.
    asdffdsa32 likes this.
  5. asdffdsa32

asdffdsa32 New Member

maybe this pic can help?
    Seller i bought it from has 100% feedback and has sold many branded different mobile phones including htc desire. Maybe even if that site reports it as a G7 it is still original?
    [​IMG]
  6. Syphadeus

Syphadeus Active Member

My IMEI denotes G7 also, but my Desire is a genuine unit.

It runs Froyo 2.2 and I've downloaded the latest OTA HTC update available. SLCD screen etc, it is unbranded but I purchased it new sealed boxed from Carphonewarehouse.

From what I've seen, the Chinese knock off runs Windows Mobile (and doesn't hide that fact) and the headphone jack is on the bottom next to the microUSB port, whereas the Desire's is at the top of the phone. The real model's screen resolution is also higher.

You'll have to check to see. Still if he doesn't send what he's told you it is i.e. a HTC Desire, you can still claim because it's not as it's described.
    asdffdsa32 likes this.
  7. asdffdsa32

asdffdsa32 New Member

well i guess i was worrying to much. Seller confirmed that it runs android and that it is genuine HTC Desire. I just got worried by that G7 thing but seems like it just report it that way.
  8. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

The above picture you posted is exactly word for word icon for icon (except serial number and IMIE etc obviously) the same as the box that came with my genuine HTC Desire. They surely don't copy the box in as much detail if its a con?
  9. pav4n

pav4n Active Member

My desire is official, direct from a T-Mobile store and it says "HTC G7 Desire (A8181)" on that site.
  10. hainman

hainman Well-Known Member

hi.i have a legit o2 branded hanset(well notanymore)and when i go to settings the about phone then imie etc it says model number htc desire A8181
  11. scorpionatthepc

scorpionatthepc Well-Known Member

I get that too on my desire unbranded and unlocked.
  12. xellenr

xellenr Member

I have bought HTD Desire and also when I check IMEI number it shows HTC Desire G7 (A8181). But I see asdffdsa32 your picture of the htc box that says Made in Taiwan, on mine it says MADE IN CHINA....and also behind the battery, in the phone it says Made in China... do I have a reason to doubt that it is original HTS Desire..what do you think???
  13. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The clones generally run Windows mobile 6.x

Is yours running Android?
  14. dannylill1981

dannylill1981 Well-Known Member

a good way to avoid clones as well as what SUroot said is they generally have dual sim and built in tv.
  15. dannylill1981

youd be amazed they generally copy the boxes exactly, the only real way to tell from the box is the images on the box often look washed out or not as colorful as the original.

look here:

http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/286359-oh-no-windows-6-5-a.html#post2344714
  16. SUroot

Sounds quite good actually. Where do I get one?
  17. deanshep85

deanshep85 Well-Known Member

yea I want one too!! with dual sim at least :D:;);):p:p
  18. dannylill1981

Lol ebay........although im sure you wouldnt be able to live with the pathetic 530mhz cpu and windows os.
  19. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

The "A8181" is correct, never seen the "G7" though, I'm pretty sure it's a legit model.

However, there's a reason why I don't buy electronics and such from ebay, I only buy little things such as batteries, usb hubs, cases, computer components and accessories. And I completely avoid Craigslist and Kijiji, you wouldn't believe the crap on those.
  20. SUroot

Each (recent) model is a G number

HTC Dream (T-Mobile) G1,
    HTC Magic (T-mobile) G2,
    HTC Hero G3,
    HTC Tatoo G4,
    HTC Nexus 1 G5,
    HTC Legend G6,
    HTC Desire G7,
    HTC Wildfire G8,
    HTC Aria G9,
    HTC Desire HD G10,
  21. dannylill1981

ebay used to be great for a lot of things but now its full of overpriced, fake tat, and the amount of dishonest people selling on there is just plain ridiculous.
  22. SUroot

I never buy cheap electronics there but its good for second hand stuff, and thats generally what I use it for
  23. xellenr

xellenr Member

@ SUroot, my HTC Desire G7 is runing android V2.2 ...
  24. SUroot

Sounds real then
  25. xellenr

xellenr Member

but the main thing that concerns me is that in box it says Made in China, and also inside the phone itself when I remove the battery, it says with red letters Made in China... what do you think? shouldi be concerned?