Is my ROM backed up?

Last Updated:

1. sleedeane

sleedeane Well-Known Member

I think I'm okay, but not sure.

Does my back-up ROM belong...just anywhere...on my external card (I have the same thing duplicated in Internal, somehow)?
    And does this look right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm afraid to do anything else (like trying a different ROM) until I know that I am safe because I have my original ROM backed up properly.

Am I safe to play?

Also, I seem to have Titanium b/u twice: one in internal, and one in external:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As long as I see it in external, I'm cool, right?
    Can I delete the Ti b/u and CWM that are in internal?

Thank you very much

Advertisement
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

As long as you have it on your SD card you should be fine. Compare the 2 and make sure the latest backups are on your sd card. I usually copy the CWM and Titanium backups to my PC too in case of catastrophe. :eek:
    sleedeane likes this.
  3. sleedeane

Thank you. I won't do anything until I copy those onto the computer (just the main "
  4. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

What I would do. Make a folder on your PC called Galaxy SII. You can make it in your documents folder or wherever you want to.

Then since you have 2 copies of CWM and Ti, delete the backed up files in the Ti folder on your SD card. Make a new Ti backup, make sure in preferences it is set to save to the sd card, and copy that Ti folder to your PC.

Then make a new backup of your ROM in CWM. When you look in Clockworkmod/backups you will see the folder named with the date you backed up. You can just copy that folder to your PC. Then you can keep the backups on your sd card and delete the backups on your phone.

If you haven't copied files to the PC before. Plug your USB cable from the phone to the computer. Pull down the notification drop down on your phone and tap where it says 'USB connected'. Then in the next window that comes up tap 'connect USB storage'. You'll be able to use Windows Explorer to copy files back and forth.

I think we all had that fear the first time. :D Check the XDA forums for a lot of ROMS. I've tried several but I've just been rooted running the stock ROM mostly.
    sleedeane likes this.
  5. sleedeane

Thank you, Atmazzz.
    You explained that perfectly. I now have a new found sense of confidence that I can do this, and am no longer so apprehensive, knowing that I have everything backed up properly in lieu of any worse-case scenarios that I could possibly encounter.
    I've been wanting to take this next step for a couple of years now ("flashing" a custom ROM onto a smartphone) and am real excited about conquering the next leg of the journey into this fascinating world of Android.
    Heck, I've been jazzed for a week now, every since my first root (except one phone that I rooted, about 4 phones ago, using Gingerbreak and no PC. But that never felt like much of an accomplishment, as I didn't understand what actually took place. One or two easy clicks, and the phone did the rest by itself), using Odin, was a screaming success (no errors!).
    I look forward to finally knowing what things like "Cyanogen" 7 or 9 (Yes. I definitely need to do my homework in the xda link you provided for me before attempting anything) look and feel like;
    what "fluid" and "liquid smooth" are like.
    I might even be seeing a "hack" ICS on this thing in the not-too-distant future.
    (I have to wait 4 more days, to get the PC back out of pawn. Massive vet bills have had me scrambling for cash, however possible, these last couple of weeks).
    If it wasn't for the great teachers, like yourself, in this forum, I still wouldn't even know what a 3rd party launcher is.
    I would be one of the people running around with a nice smartphone, that doesn't even know what an app is, assuming they are some technical trickery best left to the experts.
  6. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Thank you but there are people far more knowledgeable than I am. Just read read read and when you think you understand it, read some more. :D
    sleedeane likes this.