1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

is my s3 4g ready?General

1. dumfunk

dumfunk Member

got an s3 thinking it was 4g ready, but now i read its not... :mad:
    is this true??

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Its not only 4G ready......its LTE ready. The question is....is the area where u live 4G ready?
  3. cgfw201

cgfw201 Well-Known Member

I think that's the case, yep. Bloody annoying isn't it!? Buy an S3 thinking it's an S3 because it's called an S3 and looks like an S3, but turns out there's another S3 which looks like and S3 and is called S3 which does other things.
  4. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

5. dumfunk

dumfunk Member

i read that only the s3 lte is 4g ready....

yes i know, but hey until last week i was shackled to an iphone 4, no sorry, my iphone 4 was shackled to apple stuff....
    so im a newbie, we all gotta start somewhere...;)
  6. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Well 4G or not u have one of the best phones on the market if not thee best. Enjoy it!
  7. UserName872

UserName872 Well-Known Member

The question is... Do you have an international model or a US carrier specific model?

The international model is HPSA+ "fake 4g" ready but will not work ever for true 4G LTE.

The US carrier versions are all 4G LTE capable.
  8. dumfunk

dumfunk Member

im in the u.k so its probably the international one. by the signal bar meter it has H+ with 2 direction arrows under it, is that anything to do with it?
  9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

An expansion on the above

It is important to note that there are many versions of the S3 and any question asked without identifying which model / country / carrier cannot expect reliable answers. Whats true for one may not be true for another.
  10. UserName872

Unfortunately, that's correct. If you are in the U.K., your phone doesn't have the LTE radio hardware for true 4G data. As UK carriers introduce LTE rollout you will have to get a new phone to experience the increased data speeds.
  11. dumfunk

dumfunk Member

bugger.........:mad:
  12. SUroot

The GT-i9305 will be the international (including UK) LTE.
  13. UserName872

Thanks SURoot, this is helpful! Unfortunately I'm not as well versed in all of the international models.
  14. dumfunk

dumfunk Member

is this one not adaptable,can it be modified for 4g , change the antenna?
  15. SUroot

No.
  16. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I don't believe so. You guys got blessed with the quad core and we (U.S.) recieved LTE.
  17. SUroot

You're really gonna hate us when I tell you the GT-i9305 International LTE has 2GB RAM and a 1.4Ghz Exynos Quad core ;)
  18. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

Just think of all those folks in the UK that have got the latest Iphone that will only work with T.Mobiles 4g network (an upgraded model will be needed for the other networks). According to the Which review that will be capped and that people would get the same speeds with 3's 3g network. Also remember that 4g is a battery hog.
  19. SUroot

Hows that? Surely all the UK carriers were made to agree the frequencies for LTE?
  20. shortride

shortride Well-Known Member

I've got an S3 that is supposed to be a real S3 and is a real S3 but does not have the S3 4G LTE service yet because my service provider representative fail to tell me that my S3 4G service was not available yet in my area like other areas that already have 4G service for the other people that have an S3. ;)
  21. ooberandy

ooberandy Well-Known Member

The T-Mobile/ Orange alliance (which is now called Everything Everywhere) will be launching their LTE service towards the end of this month.

The auction for other networks to buy space will be held next year, with services launching in May/ June time.

Im assuming all these LTE services will come with an increased contract cost also. Personally Im happy to use HSPA as most of the time Im within wifi range.
  22. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

I'm ok with not having and LTE capable phone, my network won't have it till next year and by then I may have the new phone itch again! :p

H+ does me fine anyway, it's only at work my signal struggles & I doubt anything will change that, usually everywhere else I'm on wifi.
  23. CDPlant

CDPlant Guides Guide

If you're on Three, I wouldn't be too upset about not having LTE as their HSPA+ is pretty damn fast. I sometimes get about 12 Mbps which is quick enough for me :)
  24. SUroot

I'm getting about 6Mbs out of my 3 UK HSPA+ but that's still fine with me.