• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Nexus One on T-Mobile Unlockable???

Desmondo

Lurker
Apr 9, 2010
Hi guys,

I am completely new to the whole Android platform and I hope it is ok to ask this question here on this forum.

I am on the iPhone but am planning on switching to an Android phone. For now, I was thinking of the Nexus One. I can get a T-Mobile version through a friend who works at T-Mobile without paying anything I think but I am not a T-Mobile customer.

So, I wanted to see if this phone can be unlocked to be used on AT&T.

I saw information on the internet about UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER but I am not sure if this is the same thing as Unlocking a phone to be used on a different network.

I'd appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this matter.

Thnx in advance,

Desmondo

Well, there are 2 versions of this phone. U can either buy it unlocked for $500+ or get it from T-Mobile with a 2 year contract for $180 or something but I just assumed that the T-Mobile version of the phone is simply locked to be used on T-Mobile only.

Am I mistaken?

Seems like you are using a N1 with at&t. Where did u get yours?

Thnx

Upvote 0
There are actually 3 versions of the phone (well 3 currently available). The Tmobile unlocked for $530, the Tmobile subsidized for $180, and the ATT 3g compatible for $530. The two tmobile phones are identical the only difference being the subsidized phone includes a sim card and you have to sign a 2 year contract.

So you can use a tmobile nexus one on the att network by just inserting your ATT sim card, the downfall is you cannot use 3g on ATT only EDGE. This is a hardware limitation and the reason google released the 3g ATT version.

edit. unlocking your bootloader allows you to install custom roms, doesn't have to do w/ the carrier.

Reactions: Desmondo
Upvote 0
Ok, this makes more sense now. Yes you are right on the 3 versions. I've completely forgot about the new at&t 3G capable version of the phone.

I don't have the 3g plan with at&t anyway, so to me it wouldn't make a difference. Currently, I just use the wi-fi.

If I was to go with the at&t version, should I just get the HTC desire instead?

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones