• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is nexus4 worth picking up for 2015?

Two big questions for you:
1) How long are you expecting to use this <$200 phone?
2) What sort of user are you? (Okay, this is actually a multi-part question...) How important are various variables (heh) like performance, camera quality, battery life, OS updates, durability, etc to you?

I've had a N4 since they came out (~November 2012, if I remember correctly?), and I'm still using that as my daily driver. I was briefly tempted to upgrade to the N5 (and again with the N6), but for now (at least) I continue to be pretty happy with the N4 - particularly since it has been confirmed to receive the 5.0 Lollipop update.

That said, it does have some obvious drawbacks when compared with newer devices. The camera can be kind of slow to do much of anything (launching, auto-focusing, and snapping pictures), and the quality may leave a bit to be desired. The battery life isn't anything to write home about. And while the phone doesn't generally lag when performing day-to-day tasks, some more intensive games may lag or stutter.

Honestly, if you're looking to get ~2+ years out of a sub-$200 device, my strongest recommendation would be for the Moto G, which can be had new for ~$180. Moto G (2nd Gen.)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've had a N4 for a year now. Were something to happen to it, it would be at the top of the short possible replacement option list.

Mine is the last generation, was only 3 months old when I got it and still had it's factory screen protector on. It also came with a Rinke Fusion case and has been in that since day 1. It's still pristine and is all I need in a phone.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
The nexus 4 is a great phone but buying it for 2015 isn't too smart. That will be the phones 3rd year which honestly might mean lollipop will be it's last update set. If you know how to install custom Roms the Dev community may allow the device another year or two worth of updates (with minor to big delays). If $200 is the limit, get a moto g. If the additional features are what you want with first wave updates, get a nexus 5 on eBay

Upvote 0
I'm looking at the $200 phones and going pre-paid. Moto G was topof the list over Blu and Posh, etc. I am seeing some refurb Nexus4's for $170. I currently have a 2012 Moto Razr M. Would the nexus4 be any good? I'm plannong on a T-mo MNVO plan
If it was a choice between a Moto G or a Nexus 4...I'd pick the Moto G. It probably has better-everything, and it has LTE support. The only thing better about the Nexus is the RAM.

That being said, the Nexus 4 is awesome. I have Lollipop on mine right now and it is as smooth as my Nexus 7-2013 and Nexus 5.

Upvote 0
I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but it is April 2015 and I'm considering the same thing. My Nexus 5 screen broke and I need something reliable to get me through until Fall 2015 when the next Nexus is released. I found a Nexus 4 16GB in great condition for $120 and it comes with the official Nexus wireless charger, which is a great added bonus. I could sell my N5 on eBay for $80-$100 I'd guess. Is this a good call? Is the N4 the right phone to get me through the next 6 months? I would think receiving Lollipop makes it a good choice. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones