• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Note 4 worth buying?

Ayyylmao

Lurker
Jul 19, 2016
Looking for a new phone, more precisely a phablet. I'm coming from a Nexus 5, so I've been spoiled by the stock Android experience. Nonetheless I'm considering this over the Nexus 6P for the removable battery, micro sd slot and superior camera. not to mention Samsung phones always had awesome screens.

What I want to ask tho, how well does it age? is it prone to the infamous Samsung phone slowdowns? how well does the OS utilize the screen size? What are your general impressions, thing you love and hate? Would you recommend it to me?

I used the Note 4 and loved it. It's the Verizon Developer Edition, which has an unlocked bootloader and is rooted and ROMmed. The Hyperdrive ROM is Gear VR compatible, and I have the Gear VR Innovator Edition to go with it. Fantastic combination. The Note 4 is still a very capable device. I replaced it with the Moto X Pure Edition in December, but I miss the S-Pen functions and plan to snap up the Note7 on day one. At that time I'll put my Note 4 DE and Gear VR IE up for sale. Right now it's my standby, backup phone. If you want a Note but don't want the Note 5 (I don't blame you) and the price of the Note7 is a little too steep, the Note 4 will serve you very well.

Reactions: javamann and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I am sold on mine.....
it is rock solid, and the "slow down stories" are just that: stories.

it is a great device that fits midway between a smartphone and a tablet....
still small enough to be able to put a Spec CandyShell military grade case on it, and put it in my shirt pocket.

I personally happen to like Samsung phones, dependable and they do what I expect them to.
right now, I am back to my S5 because I ruined the battery on my Note 4, but tomorrow, Santy Claus is bringing me a new battery so the Note 4 will be revived.... hurray!

I have yet to root a phone, so far, have not seen the need for it.
With Samsung, Package Disabler Pro gets rid of the bloatware.

Upvote 0
Another yes vote for the Note4,liked mine enough to get it twice:
"Upgraded" :rolleyes: to the Note5,big mistake :paperbagdroid:,went back to the Note4. :)
For those that can look past a removable battery,no I-R Blaster & no SD Card,the Note 5 is fine & a marginally snappier/faster phone,but,the trade-off in functionality,for me,ended up not being worth it.

The Note4 is a solid choice & will receive top-notch aftermarket development/support for many years to come.
It's a can't-miss,hope you're able to find a good deal on one.
FWIW,some brick & mortar T-Mobile stores are still stocking the Note4................

Upvote 0
I got another new one for $340. They are sleek, smooth, gorgeous screen, plenty of ram, SD card and most importantly - replaceable battery. That has easily been the best part of owning this phone, being able to replace the battery once it starts to show age. That can happen much more quickly than most would like to admit. Cost me $20 to swap it out and done.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
The Note 4 has my vote also. In fact, after hearing that the Note 7 will not have a removable battery, I will probably get myself a second Note 4 and update it to Marshmallow (my current Note is still on Kit Kat) to see if I like it and to have a spare phone.

I have not seen any slowdown unless I have something big running in the background (Pokemon Go would be a prime example). When I make sure that nothing is burning the CPU, the phone runs cold and the battery lasts the day out easily. I did have the stock battery die on me (hence my nervousness about the Note 7), but absolutely no other issues.

Good luck with your selection.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
My Note 4 is on MM now, and personally, it is just fine.
Seems like, it is working "smoother" than it was,
and no techno geek stuff, but the battery "seems like" it might be lasting longer between charges.

I was leery of ever letting go of 4.4.4 which I loved.... I hated 5.1.1 with a passion, but MM now seems to be "just fine for me".

dunno what they did, don't care, the phone is smoother and will last me a long time.
I think I will watch the shopping markets and find a backup for me, I don't want to ever be without it again.....
which just happened a week ago today, I left it on the dash of the truck, and the sun killed it....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones