• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Optimus 3D new performance king?

jinwons

Android Expert
Oct 19, 2010
OC, CA
I'm surprised this is using the PowerVR 540. Is the Ram making it perform like this compared to the Galaxy S?
The SGX540 in this phone is running at 300MHz (iirc,) rather than the typical 200MHz, which accounts for some 3D performance. And yes, the dual-channel RAM on the O3D means it can access memory pretty much twice as fast, which would account for most of the rest.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
The SGX540 in this phone is running at 300MHz (iirc,) rather than the typical 200MHz, which accounts for some 3D performance. And yes, the dual-channel RAM on the O3D means it can access memory pretty much twice as fast, which would account for most of the rest.

Optimus 3d only have 512mb(4Gb not 4GB) of ram. im sure 1gb of ram will help s2 more then Optimus 3d.

Upvote 0
Optimus 3d only have 512mb(4Gb not 4GB) of ram. im sure 1gb of ram will help s2 more then Optimus 3d.

Well, 1GB of RAM will let the S2 perform better in situations where more than 512MB is needed, which is quite a feat on a smartphone.

The dual-channel RAM in the O3D means it can access 512MB twice as fast as the S2 can, meaning it will have a performance increase pretty much all the time.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have 1GB memory instead of dual-channel though. Phones are pushing that 512MB barrier and that 1GB will always be useful. I wonder why the companies tout the performance of their dual-core chips so much but don't get behind a professional benchmarking suite to add dual-core support and have bragging rights with real numbers. That's what AMD/ATI and Nvidia do with Futuremark scores. Maybe less so now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones