• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is our phone being left behind?

Unfortunately that's the facts of life with cellphones nowaday...the moment it's out, it will be obsolete, same goes for Droid X. Once it's out and all the reviews are in..the buzz is over...then people will focus on the next phone..Samsung Galaxy (verizon version) or Samsung Epic or HTC with quad processors..etc. I used to think Computers get outdated fast but aging cycle on cellphones is making computers look relatively stable...and pretty depressing for people that are trying to have the latest and greatest. :(

Exactly. Though the alternative is a release and update cycle like the iPhone. It is a decent device, but the development cycle is glacial in comparison to the Android market. As to which is better, I suspect it depends on your personality and willingness to take risks.

As far as staying on the cutting edge of technology, the phrase "live by the sword, die by the sword" comes to mind :)

Upvote 0
I can see both sides here, since the Dinc shortage will 3rd parties push/rush for accessories? Niche players for sure, but more mainstream?
Or by the time back orders are filled and vzw catches up, will the demand for Dinc be gone? Already I have read of vzw offering to change Dinc order to moto x.
Another possibility, backlash, will many people decide that an 4.3 screen is to big? Thus going back to a smaller screen.
What I do know is that on one of my lines the 2yr is up in nov '10 another in april '11 and I have no doubt that my Dinc will keep me happy till an killer android LTE is out the door.

Upvote 0
I believe they have it set up to where if you DON'T have a smartphone you can UPGRADE to get one. Verizon (or any other carrier) makes no profit from these phones. The providers do (HTC, Samsung, LG, etc). Their money comes from minutes/texting, data plans and every other little thing we're charged for. Most (if not all) smartphones require a $29.99/mo data plan. There is no work around for that. Even the 3G Multimedia Phones require the $10.00/mo plan.

So if you're working with a RAZR, an LG Dare, EnV Touch, etc. (and have been grandfathered into these new requirements), they'll want you to upgrade to a smartphone. That's $30 extra dollars a month from them plus what you're already paying monthly.

Upvote 0
The guy at the Verizon store told me that if I had more than 2 lines on my plan I could upgrade my phone every year. For the extra $9.99 a month, I'm actually considering doing it with an old phone and activating it on a new number. Does anyone know if this is actually true or was he blowing smoke up my ass?
I think the catch is the data plan- you would need the $30 data plan for it to work.

What if he made one line a regular cellphone line?

Upvote 0
Not gonna happen. remember your reading the dweebs posting in a forum. thats about 5% of who owns these phones. when the dust settles and joe six pack or whom ever walks in to VZ to upgrade they will go with the niffty looking Dinc over the brick huge looking X.....

haha lmao! so true, yo bro this things a brick, I want that lil thing there, the incredible thingy, do it do it, make it happen CAPISH!

Upvote 0
The guy at the Verizon store told me that if I had more than 2 lines on my plan I could upgrade my phone every year. For the extra $9.99 a month, I'm actually considering doing it with an old phone and activating it on a new number. Does anyone know if this is actually true or was he blowing smoke up my ass?

No one ever knows! Just go to a Verizon corporate store and ask. You will have to pay for the data plan, and you will/will not get the NE2 discount on the phone, depending on what: I don't know. I did get the NE2 discount on my Dinc. I think that "nice" has a place at Verizon-my wife was with me at the time, and she is nice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones