• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is PowerAmp still considered the best player?

Just curious before I spend $$ on it. My needs aren't very demanding, but the stock HTC player in my Vivid seems a bit limited in its capabilities.

Try free players first. MixZing, WinAmp, 3 (Cubed) all are very good players, and WinAmp also allows wireless sync to your PC if you have WinAmp there as well.

Upvote 0
Winamp for Android is a good player. I was disappointed with the wireless transfer though. The transfer speed was really slow, and consistently failed to transfer some of the songs in each batch I copied.

I just started using 3 (cubed). Definitely the best Android player I've tried. The options for viewing your content are great. Never tried Poweramp.

I've been looking at other players on Windows as well. I can't seem to find anything else that will sync to my iPod, though.

Upvote 0
I can't get WinAmp wireless sync to work properly on my phone. I've got multiple network adapters on my machine connected to different virtual networks. Win Amp NEVER picks up the adapter that's connected to my LAN so it never sees my phone. I have to go in and disable all the network adapters on my computer in order to make it see my phone which is a huge PITA so I never use it. I use Doubletwist if I want to do wireless syncing.

Upvote 0
PlayerPro is paid, and well I have tried it but for some reason it won't read embedded album art, and the cached album art is of poor quality unlike the HD pics WinAmp, Mixzing and PowerAMP shows.

Actually, PlayerPro reads embedded album art very well. Try this: How to Manage PlayerPro Album Artwork

Also, if you need a tool for actually embedding the artwork into your tags, try this: Album Cover Finder
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ftpcafe.coverart.trial&feature=search_result)

Upvote 0
Just curious before I spend $$ on it. My needs aren't very demanding, but the stock HTC player in my Vivid seems a bit limited in its capabilities.

It really depends on what your needs are. I think PlayerPro has the best UI. So easy to navigate and manage your library and queue up music.

But if you want Gapless playback or Crossfade, then Poweramp and WinAmp are the only two that I know of that supports this feature.

As far as synching and managing playlists - I do not do any of that. I just cherry pick the songs I like into folders and play them.

Upvote 0
Actually, PlayerPro reads embedded album art very well. Try this: How to Manage PlayerPro Album Artwork

Also, if you need a tool for actually embedding the artwork into your tags, try this: Album Cover Finder
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ftpcafe.coverart.trial&feature=search_result)

The app you sent won't work, I already have id3 tags in the mp3s and some of them are indie bands I find it trying to fix tags for over 2000 songs on my phone a scary job. I'd rather get an app that works as advertised.

WinAmp, PowerAmp, MixZing what have you reads them perfect. PlayerPro shows me a horrendous pixelized version downloaded from somewhere in the net. It just won't read the id3 tags made by mp3tag or tagscanner for me. Good thing I haven't shelled out money for PlayerPro yet.

Upvote 0
I've been looking at other players on Windows as well. I can't seem to find anything else that will sync to my iPod, though.

After I got PowerAMP on my Droid X I threw my iPod in a drawer and haven;t looked back. I hate itunes. With the droid I just right click on my music and press "Send to I:\Music".

Done, no shitty itunes database to update. Droid X <3

Upvote 0
The app you sent won't work, I already have id3 tags in the mp3s and some of them are indie bands I find it trying to fix tags for over 2000 songs on my phone a scary job. I'd rather get an app that works as advertised.

WinAmp, PowerAmp, MixZing what have you reads them perfect. PlayerPro shows me a horrendous pixelized version downloaded from somewhere in the net. It just won't read the id3 tags made by mp3tag or tagscanner for me. Good thing I haven't shelled out money for PlayerPro yet.

If you need to tag things use Media Monkey.

It will scan the MP3 and autotag it for you from the web.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

The thing I didn't like about Poweramp is that you only see the artwork from the player, but not from the folder view. In spite of my best efforts, I have not been able to see embedded artwork from WinAmp with music from folders. They both work very well when browsing from albums or artists, but that is not how I use it.

Upvote 0
If your mp3's are already tagged with embedded artwork, did you try these steps? Music PlayerPro &bull; View topic - How to manage album artwork

I was pretty frustrated with PlayPro too, but I eventually got it to work.

Yep. The only one apparently that might work was the put album art in every folder. I did not want that. I already had everything fixed.

It will scan the MP3 and autotag it for you from the web.

Tried that before. It wrongly tagged and titled about 500 songs. Big PITA. As I said, I got a lot of indie local acts bands from Asia, which won't show on a lot of internet databases.

That said, for me its easier to just forget PlayerPro and use apps that do work straight up on installation without me wasting time on them. The only positive thing I could have said for PP is the pretty widgets.

Upvote 0
Yep. The only one apparently that might work was the put album art in every folder. I did not want that. I already had everything fixed.

And you activated the "Prefer ID3 artwork" option? After that, I had to browse to the album, long press each album > Manage artwork > Pick from ID3 tags > click the displayed artwork.

Kinda clunky, but I didn't have 2000 albums to go thru.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones