Is proximity sensor hardware or software?

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I know its software also, but is it hardware too? Because if not, then I was thinking, couldn't HTC just add it later on if they wanted it to?

Advertisement
  2. troyboytn

troyboytn Well-Known Member

It is also hardware.

3. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

Yep its hardware. The hero does not have one. Yes it cuts down on your bragging rights in a forum fanboy war however i do not miss having one on this phone. My screen shuts off after 30 seconds and i dont squish the phone up against my face so its a non issue for me.

4. aznsmith

aznsmith Well-Known Member

you never have trouble when checking voice mail?

5. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

I thought it is a location based program? I.e., GPS? Interesting but not something that really separates the two phones. Unless if course you single and a little desperate, lol.

:)

6. CMank

CMank Active Member

I was definitely a little put off about this as well. My cheek tends to hit random stuff on the screen while listening to voice mail. I have to be careful with this. Phone calls are not a problem because my screen is set to time-out at 60secs. Would be nice if they could add this later on.

7. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member

I currently have an LG Voyager from Verizon and will be getting the Hero tomorrow. The Voyager has a feature that as soon as you make a call, the screen locks. There is also a setting to keep the screen unlocked for voicemail and toll free numbers because it assumes you'll need it. Is there an option/app like this for the Hero?

8. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

actually no i have not. Itend to hold the phone slightly away from my ear for some reason so i have not run into this issue. I can see how this would be an issue for alot of people though.

9. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

You can still use standard voice mail, not the visual voice mail, thereby eliminating the cheek presses. Lolz...

10. rldev

rldev Well-Known Member

I had a lot of problems today due to no proximity sensor. Is there an app that can turn the screen off when there is a phone call?

11. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Change the screen timeout to a more manageable time. Or just slightly change the way you hold the phone.

The only problems I could see is accidentally hitting the mute, or the speakerphone.

12. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

I hang up on people all the time. I thought I read that the screen times out after 10 seconds. I have my screen timeout set to 15 seconds, but when I make a call, it doesn't time out until about 50 seconds.

How can I change this? :(

13. rldev

rldev Well-Known Member

I have the same problem as well.

14. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

I came from an og instinct (although i had an hd for a couple weeks) so the sensor i dont miss. It was kinda nice to have on the HD instinct, but i dont make love to my phone while talking on it :D so it doesnt touch my face lol. i have screen timeout set at 30 sec.

15. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

I installed Proximity Sensor from the Market. There are settings to it and it works great!

16. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

Search "Proximity Sensor"

It's in the market.

It uses the same thing the screen uses to detect brightness (the little dot on the opposite side of the speaker from the LED notification, if that makes sense).

It works good.

I only have problems with it when I use it in a dark room, bc then when you remove the screen from your head the screen stays off. But a simple click of the back button takes it away. ;)