Is Radio hardware of software?

Last Updated:

1. admiral70

admiral70 Member This Topic's Starter

With the Nexus one some day moving to VZW I am carious. In order to make it VZW compatible is that a hardware change for the radio to work or software?

I guess the real question is can you hack an unlocked Nexus One being used on T-mobile to work with VZW network when VZW starts selling the N1?

Thank you

Advertisement
  2. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

verizon = cdma
    tmobile = gsm

its actual hardware differences. a day 1 nexus will not work on Verizon.

3. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

Hardware. If it was simply a software thing the phone would have been on Verizon by now.

4. admiral70

admiral70 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured I would clarify for myself. Sadden by the results but that is ok I will still get the N1 (again) for my VZW account when ready. Luckily I have an upgrade coming and have been waiting.

5. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

I suppose I have a follow up question. ATT, TMO, and Vz are all going to LTE in the next year or two. I've read that LTE is data only and this gives me the impression the phones would become VoIP devices? Does this get us past Vz's inability to use voice and data at the same time?

Verizon has the best network (to date) and I would like to go back. But I don't like the CDMA limitations. Thanks if anyone can answer this question!