• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help is replacing the housing frame easy job on GS3?

vcreation

Lurker
Mar 5, 2012
my outer glass screen is cracked, digitalizer LCD is fine. I've seen a lot of instruction on how to replace the screen and im about to do it. however the frame along the edge are in poor shape too. lots of scratch. im talking about the outer rim of the phone where the volume and sleep button are, it seems like it's in 1-piece with the body of the phone and cannot be taken off. and im not sure if this part is correct
NEW Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 MID Housing Frame Replacement Bezel Middle Blue | eBay

anyone know if replacing the rim is easy ? ? or should i not waste my time and just replace the glass screen ?

If you know how to replace the rim it's a trivial 1 minute (or less) job. If you aren't familiar with repairing cellphones, replacing the glass (or any part but the battery, SIM card, etc.) can result in a bricked, or totally unrepairable, phone. You have to weigh the money you save by doing the job yourself against how much it will cost you to buy a new phone, then decide how much risk you're willing to live with.

(We've seen plent of posts here along the lines of "I xxx and I did everything exactly right, and I didn't do anything wrong, but now the phone won't even turn on." And that quite often means getting a new phone.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones