is rooting my best option?

Last Updated:

1. cmills93

cmills93 Member This Topic's Starter

I've searched this forum, as well as a few other sites and I'm not sure what to do. If you have input, I'd love to hear it.

I previously had the Droid 1 and now have the Droid X. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the OS, software, apps, etc. and I've wanted to root my phone, but I'm kind of intimidated by the file names and some of the complexities of what to/not to do so you don't brick your phone.

When I got my X, I had connectivity issues with my work Exchange. As I need my phone for business, I almost had to return it. But I got through for a couple weeks with workarounds like syncing my Outlook calendar to Google Calendars to my phone, etc.

Naturally, when the Froyo update was leaked, I installed it. This solved my exchange problems (as well as a few others). Unfortunately, it's created different problems - I'm missing apps from the market and I'd like to flash my phone back to 2.1 when the official 2.2 is released so that I have the final version.

I see that the problem with the market can be solved with this ROM, but the rooting process looks very complicated.

Optimize Your DROID X Running Android 2.2 with a New Build.Prop | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

So here are my questions:

1. Are there any easy root options after 2.2 is installed on the X?

2. If no, what is my best option?

3. Can I flash back to 2.1 without rooting, then use Easy Root?

Does this make sense?

• Flash back to 2.1
    • Easy root
    • Reinstall 2.2 (until the OTA becomes available - since I need the Exchange)
    • Install a ROM to fix the market

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for your input.

Advertisement
  2. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member

There is no easy root option for 2.2. You can use the Droid 2 method. It is not that bad, but requires plugging your phone into a PC using USB debugging. I did this when I lost root recently. You other option would be to SBF and then easy root. I personally think flashing the SBF is in the same league as the Droid 2 rooting option. Either one should work fine to get you a rooted 2.2 Droid X.

I also recommend after you have a rooted 2.2 phone you do an advanced restore (system only) to 2.3.13. My phone is running great since doing this.

cmills93 likes this.
  3. BuTbKa

BuTbKa Well-Known Member

cmills93 likes this.