• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is rooting my stock 2.2 Evo worth it?

Well...what would you like your phone to be able to do? If you are already happy with it as is, then I would not recommend rooting. If you have checked out the benefits to rooting your phone and decide you would like to take advantage of some of them, then go for it. It's quite easy to do at this point, but you do need to do your research.

If you are not very familiar with rooting, here are two links that are essential for anybody who is thinking about it:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

Upvote 0
They do, and it's called Unrevoked3. Do it. Couldn't be easier. And you can unroot at any time. No more PDAnet, you can tether wirelessly at ridiculous speeds on 4g, and (for me) very good 3g speed comparable to comcast during heavy use times.

Not to mention being able to back up your entire phone at any time. I originally rooted because I was tired of the Sprint bloatware myself. It's much easier these days IMO, I no longer need to play with a dozen rom builds on my own, people much more experienced than I are sharing their hard work for free. Root your phone.

Upvote 0
Droid_Genious

i was on the same boat as you last week. during the weekend i decided to pull the trigger and root

i must admit it was a piece of cake, you just have to follow the instructions to the T

i read and read many days and i am happy to have done it. it works great... i am not running any customer roms as i think the stock one is fine, just has some cluster... so i rooted my 2.2 and deleted bloatware and tweaked a few things. works great! better battery... usually i could consume 10% per hr or so, last night i consumed 20% in 4.5 hrs... thats about double life....

just root with unrevoked, do a nandroid backup, install ur stuff, have it set to how you like it... do a Titanum Backup after your set (that way you have a stock backup and a backup the way you use the phone) and then use unrEVOked forever

Upvote 0
I wouldn't root it. Since root I haven't been able to put the phone down....it's been annoying several friends and loved ones...and my eyes hurt from looking at the screen so much. The stress associated with changing settings has become overwhelming but I just can't put it down.

Seriously just do it!

Upvote 0
I wouldn't root it. Since root I haven't been able to put the phone down....it's been annoying several friends and loved ones...and my eyes hurt from looking at the screen so much. The stress associated with changing settings has become overwhelming but I just can't put it down.

Seriously just do it!

HAHAHA yea I went ahead and did it and its great lol since my Processor is running so slow @499 battery life is god-like and I dont even use my Seidio anymore, what a waste of 69.99 :(

Upvote 0
You lose the ability to take your phone to the sprint store for service, however as long as you have a recovery and can find the stock version of 2.2 or the latest ota release, you can flash that prior to going to the store. It's a bit of a pain if needed, but do-able.

And that's it?

Here's an odd scenario. Let's say I rooted my phone. Then set it up exactly the way I had it before with the same apps and settings. Would I notice ANY difference?

I'm not talking about removing bloatware to save the battery or that stuff, I mean the look and feel of it.

I'm not arguing one way or the other, I'm just trying to get all the information before I just ship. :)

Upvote 0
And that's it?

Here's an odd scenario. Let's say I rooted my phone. Then set it up exactly the way I had it before with the same apps and settings. Would I notice ANY difference?

I'm not talking about removing bloatware to save the battery or that stuff, I mean the look and feel of it.

I'm not arguing one way or the other, I'm just trying to get all the information before I just ship. :)

If I recall correctly, rooting didn't get rid of all the stuff and settings. Flashing of ROMS and Kernels when you do a system wipe is what kills everything. However, I've flashed ROMs now and use Titanium Backup (the paid version) to back up everything. After flashing, go to market, install Titanium Backup from teh Downloads, run it, restore all your apps and data, then restore all the system data. The only thing different is there are two of everything on my screen over the top of one another which I have to delete one. (not sure if this is ROM-specific or not, but not hard to remove one of each)

Upvote 0
In my opinion, no. I rooted my first Evo to get better battery life using different kernels and setCpu. While I'm not on my 2nd Evo, for better or worse, that came with the latest 3.30 software and kernel, the battery life has been better than when I rooted it. 15hrs with 50% today, light usage with some app downloading and doodle jump sporadically.

Will I root again? Probably when unrevoked is able to easily root the newer Evos, but for now, I'm certainly happy with it as it is.

Just don't fall prey to benchmarks as it only raises your e-peen and nothing else. Benchmarks don't correlate with a good experience, usually. Remember that Android was released 2 years ago on phones running 400mhz; Heck, the Hero ran at 600mhz, I think. So the Evo's overly fast hardware will get the job done.

Side Note: If you do root, use Amon_Ra as your default recovery as opposed to Clockworks which doesn't backup your WiMax keys; If you lose those keys, you lose 4G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones