• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Is Sense UI's keyboard open source?

weizilla

May 4, 2010
I'd like to modify the keyboard for my Droid Incredible so that the compact qwerty keyboard switches from XT9 and full qwerty instead of the ABC typing thing. Any ideas on where the code is? Is this keyboard part of the main Android build or HTC's Sense UI? Is the Sense UI open source?

The Android OS may be open, but the customisations that the different phone makers use probably (almost certainly) aren't. There are several reasons for this:

• The Android license does not require changes to be made available under the original terms.
  • Most of these manufacturers are still newbies on the open source concept, and are likely "scared" by potential legal trouble of sharing out.
  • The custom UI is a "differentiating factor" and thus not something they'd like to give away for their competitors to use.
The last one is obviously the most important reason.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

Reactions: weizilla
Upvote 0
The Android OS may be open, but the customisations that the different phone makers use probably (almost certainly) aren't. There are several reasons for this:

• The Android license does not require changes to be made available under the original terms.
  • Most of these manufacturers are still newbies on the open source concept, and are likely "scared" by potential legal trouble of sharing out.
  • The custom UI is a "differentiating factor" and thus not something they'd like to give away for their competitors to use.
The last one is obviously the most important reason.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

Thanks for the info and welcoming me to the forums! :)

After some searching, I was actually able to find some keyboard mods (with source code) that seem to be build on top of HTC's keyboard. I'm not sure what version of the keyboard it's based on (seems older than my Droid Inc version) or if the source code includes HTC's code but I'm going to look as it seems to be what i'm looking for.

Link in case anyone else is interested: [MOD] HTC_IME (29th April) v25: Custom sounds and much more - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones