• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is something like Apple's Airplay in the works for Google devices? Namely for audio only

blahblahyoutoo

May 18, 2012
I have a receiver (Pioneer) that supports Airplay and it's great being able to walk around the house and control the music from my ipod touch. On top of that, there's an app that lets me control the receiver as well.

Pioneer makes an android app to control the receiver as well, so I'm set there. But I'd like to be able to control the music/playlists as well and be completely free from apple devices.

Is there an app that does this? Feels like some hardware/firmware and/or protocols would also need to be integrated in the receiver for this to happen.

the music resides on my phone or google drive (and my pc of course) if that matters.
and no, i'm not asking for something like the Q. i already have a receiver and don't need the other functionality that the Q offers.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones