Is something wrong wiht my droids video recorder?

Last Updated:

1. BonusFeatures75

BonusFeatures75 Member This Topic's Starter

I posted something similar to this a few days ago but now i have a video to show you guys of the problem.

When i take videos with my droid, they always have "noise" in them. little fuzzy dots of green and such (if you dont know what i mean by noise)

i have set the quality to high and all that good stuff, even did changed the videos mbps from 3 to 8 with that trick that was posted, to no avail.

anyway, here is the video. its pretty hard to see the problem with youtubes quality, but if you can spot it just picture it as being a hell of a lot worse. also, the darkness is not part of the problem, i relize the droid doesnt do well in dimmly lit areas, although my room is brighter than the video lets on. pay close attention to the walls, especially when i look at the ceilign and you may see it through youtubes bad quality.

YouTube - Motorola droid video test

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Can't see them too well in the video.., but what you are describing is either video noise from the sensor itself(unavoidable with such a tiny+high res sensor), or compression artifacts. Yes the artifacts will show even at 8mbps because the camera software uses the same algorithms just to a lesser level.

To check which it is, see if they are there in an outside/daylight video. If they are gone, it's video noise. If not, artifacting.

For the video noise from the sensor, it is hit and miss from droid to droid..some are better, some worse. Artifacting should be basically the same within the same app. A third party app may do better or worse than the stock camera app-hack or not. Unfortunately I cannot suggest the best app, since I have not experimented with them. I do know a camcorder app with exposure compensation or gain controls would be nice-but such an app will almost certainly introduce more noise in the video.

As has been stated before.. there is unfortunately only so much that a tiny, hi-res cam such as the droid's can do.. As a digital camera nut, I happen to think it does a pretty decent job for it's physical size.

3. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i thought it was a decent video, i can't complain about that. good camera really if ya ask me

4. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

I see the noise you are talking about when you are shooting the wall. However I don't think you need to worry. You do need to remember that this is a phone and not a dedicated video recording device. Frankly:

I am actually really really impressed by your video. I typically don't give a rats ass about video on a mobile phone because the quality is such crap. I care so little that in the months that I had the hero I only recorded one video because I was just "goofing off" in the three days I've had the Droid I haven't even cared enough even try recording a video. However after seeing the quality of your video I might nut up and get all crazy and start shooting videos!

5. Droidmaniac

Droidmaniac Active Member

Yep, looked great to me as well!! I was trying out an Instinct HD that shot HD video... it was beautifull, but the rest of the phone experience was laggy and just crap! Went with the Droid, and loving it. Low light video -- well what you have is about as good as it gets, and what you have is better than I would have expected!

6. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

7. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Is it doing it on your Droid screen as well? If not, I'd say that it's youtube just dropping a few frames in the conversion process. I've uploaded some HD videos from a sanyo camera that are sometimes smooth as silk, other times jittery.
    Your video looks pretty good. Actually, really good. And your buddy Ross has a "unique" smile!

8. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

Does this look really good because you changed to 8 mpbs or does my recorder just plain suck.

9. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

Matter of fact I have not made any changes to the settings or anything, just point and shoot.

It does in fact do the same drop of frames on my droid as well. Would upping it to 8mbs or whatever fix this issue?