• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Sprint being left behind?

Im wondering if sprint will get any new phones. Will they announce anything @ CES in a couple of days? I feel like tmobile and verizon are getting all the good droid phones.

Verizon getting all the good Android phones!? You've got to be kidding me...what exactly do you mean by that? Verizon has only 2 Android phones, so does Sprint. The only one with the advantage is T-Mobile, they have 4 and they also have the Nexus One coming their way.

Upvote 0
Try visiting the ANDROID NEWS & TALK board. They should rename it the VERIZON, ATT, T-MOBILE ANDROID NEWS & TALK board.Threads1. 2 Motorola Handsete at CES? (from Phandroid) A. ATT Android phone B. Verizon Android phone2. Xperia X10 with ATT 3G passes FCC3. Android 2.1 on the Motorola Droid Sprint phones STILL running 1.54. First CES info on Verizon AndroidsWhere's the Sprint news? What's coming to Sprint? Looks to me that Verizon, ATT and T-mo are doing something while Sprint has the "Moment and Hero".

Upvote 0
OK, Let's check the box score here in the bottom of the 4th inning.ATT adds 3, I said 3 new Android phones to their stable which still includes the iPhone.Verizon announces Flash AND Android 2.1 to the Droid. 2.1 on the Droid and Flash????? Damn. Oh did I forget to mention that they are getting the Nexus One? Shame on me.Sprint? Hello Sprint? Rumors of maybe a warmed over LG with a version of Android. And the announcement of a possibe WinMo phone. Be Still My Heart a WinMo phone? Are you kidding? More hemorrhaging of customers to follow.

Upvote 0
Verizon announces Flash AND Android 2.1 to the Droid. 2.1 on the Droid and Flash????? Damn.
Yeah, I was all jealous when Adobe announced Flash for the Nexus One, then I remembered that my Hero already supports Flash. I was even able to go play the game they used to demo it. Plus, the new Flash plugin will work in ANY Android phone. As for 2.1, it's coming to both the Hero and Moment, so why do you seem surprised that it's coming to the Droid?

Upvote 0
Maybe I read wrong but I thought the Nexus one was going to T-Mobile? I didn't read it had Verizon on the list. I may have overlooked it though. And if WinMo7 hits phones you will still have a large group who want that so customers aren't hemorrhaging as you say. Sprint is launching the easy devices that take advantage of 4g so of course they are announcing the hotspot. They have to get phone manufacturers building with 4g radios which not all are there yet. I believe the WinMo7 will take advantage as well as HTC bringing something to the table fairly quickly as well. This is gonna be a year to watch and see what comes to the table. Especially if iPhone exclusiveness is dropped. Though Verizon may pick it will they want to bother having so many other options. I could see T-Mobile picking it up as it is already GSM. Not a lot to change. I think it is too early to call but I certainly don't feel Sprint is being left behind!

Upvote 0
TMo has the N1 now and Verizon is getting it "Spring 2010".

I was really hoping to see at least a preview of something with Android or WM7 last night at the CES conference. I have an opportunity to get out of Sprint without an ETF this month and while they have been my carrier of choice, I need to upgrade from my Pre. They keep cracking from the same place and I can't keep paying for replacements from Asurion. Sprint won't acknowledge this as a warranty issue so therefore my options are to keep replacing broken phones at $100 cost to me every few months or move to another carrier for a better phone. I'm not shelling out full price to replace my phone and my girlfriend's phone with Heroes at full cost when there are devices of the next generation already out on TMo and Verizon. I really *hate* to go to a company with higher rates but I worry that if I don't take advantage of this opt-out I will be stuck with no options for another year and a half.

Upvote 0
TMo has the N1 now and Verizon is getting it "Spring 2010".

I was really hoping to see at least a preview of something with Android or WM7 last night at the CES conference. I have an opportunity to get out of Sprint without an ETF this month and while they have been my carrier of choice, I need to upgrade from my Pre. They keep cracking from the same place and I can't keep paying for replacements from Asurion. Sprint won't acknowledge this as a warranty issue so therefore my options are to keep replacing broken phones at $100 cost to me every few months or move to another carrier for a better phone. I'm not shelling out full price to replace my phone and my girlfriend's phone with Heroes at full cost when there are devices of the next generation already out on TMo and Verizon. I really *hate* to go to a company with higher rates but I worry that if I don't take advantage of this opt-out I will be stuck with no options for another year and a half.

My contract was up in December and was waiting for something cutting edge from Sprint.
Guess not.

Upvote 0
My contract was up in December and was waiting for something cutting edge from Sprint.
Guess not.

Keep the faith. Sprint is going to make the big splash at the end of CES- qwerty keyboard, Android 2.x, dual mic, 4in- 480x800 screen,512/512, 8Mp camera w dual flash, 3500 mA battery, ....

Great marketing strategy!

Or maybe they will just tell us when to expect something beyond Android 1.5

Upvote 0
The other thing people don't realize about Sprint is that they are the only carrier to give you the ability to buy a new phone every 12 months- NOT 24 like VZ and ATT. Relax, as much as I Love my Hero (except for the battery life and sometimes sluggishness) a new Android phone will be out by Oct and I can then sell my Hero and get the new one. Besides, why would I switch to VZ when I can roam on VZ for free? The only problem I have is that the Hero lacks force roaming like my trusty Treo 755 had. For the most part the Hero roams well, but I will admidt that my Treo had a better signal and the Force Roaming was key when I was in the middle of the coast in Big Sur and only VZ worked. VZ and ATT rip people off more than Sprint does. Sprint's problem is that they do not admidt to known issues with phones unless you call, cand call and call. If calling doesn't work a nice online letter to the BBB will get you a call back from the executive office in KC.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sprint allows you to get a new phone once a year, fine, JUST GIVE US A PHONE WORTH BUYING. That's ALL we ask.
There will be a new Android phone by October????????I have been using a Moto Q9C for two years. I will not be a Sprint customer if I have to wait until March.

my sentiments exactly.. if i don't hear any news by next month, im jumping ship to verizon..

Upvote 0
I would imagine gen 2 android phones will be out by the 4th quarter in time for early adopters to upgrade. The Nexus is an HTC phone so I'd imagine the 2nd gen Hero to be comparable if not better. I care more about a better slider phone. With the v2 Moment looking the same except for the chip, I hope HTC comes to the rescue with a better slider.

Upvote 0
ummm...they're about three months out on their first two phones. Why would they have any new releases announced? Heck, they haven't even upgraded to 2.1 yet on the current crop of phones. That upgrade will breathe new life into both phones actually.

How many android phones do you expect them to carry at one time? How many Palm, BB or WM phones did they carry at one time? When did they ever announce new models within the first few months of introduction of current models? About never?

Upvote 0
Well it sure does look like Sprint doesn't care what the customers are saying. You Sprint employees keep sipping that golden kool aid. except it isn't kool aid. We are getting tired of being associated with a third rate phone company that is more concerned with Nascar and NFL than supplying it's customers with what they want. Once a year may be often enough for you homer employees, but we cash paying customers who have been STUCK with SECOND RATE PHONES for two years are done.KAWOOSH, you hear that? It's the sound of Sprint being flushed down the toilet as the last few PAYING customers leave because you idiots just don't get it. I really don't give a shit about a 4G system that will NEVER service my area. GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOU ASS SPRINT.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones