• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Sprint really cheaper with EVO in plans?

unless you will use the heck out of them there minutes :)

That's where I am. I use my cell 90% of the time. I have a home and biz line that forward to my cell so those mins count, but it's still cheaper for me even with 3000 mins with 2 lines and my company discount. I don't regularly burn 3000 mins, but it's not hard to get both phones over 2000. I don't live anywhere near my family so it's the easiest way for me to stay in touch with them. Vid-chatting will be even better.

Mobile living with data adds up so quickly it's astounding so I don't mind at all Sprint's plan structure, especially EF Data.

And for all the noise I hear from ATT about saving people money, why not just charge $5 less for anyone who doesn't reach the existing "unlimited but really 5GB" cap? They don't want to save people money, they want to make more. We agree on that. But I'm sure there will be a very large chunk of people who will see this as a tremendous takeway even if they never exceeed 5GB. They would have been better off just enforcing the existing 5GB cap if it was really about curbing high users.

Upvote 0
I just did a quick comparison for my wife and I:

Sprint
Everything Data-1500 Shared Anytime Minute $129.99
TEP $14 (for both)
Includes Data and BIS
Evo BS upcharge $10
Total $153.99

Verizon
Nationwide Talk & Text Family 1400 $119.99
Total Equipment Coverage $15.98 ($7.99 x 2)
Unlimited Data $59.98 ($29.99 x 2)
Total $195.95

Now we both need data due to having work related email, so that may not be the case for you, but for me, having to pay for data on both phones is a deal breaker.

For you, it works out :) You apparently need the minutes and unlimited data. If not, VZW options would be cheaper. Our family uses one unlimited data plan and the rest is mainly texts covered in the 700 minute plan.

Everything is relative and seems especially true for what you use and who you use it with in regards to phone carriers :)

added:

Works for Rigmaster too! I can say that Sprint probably hopes you folks are the minority and NOT the majority- you are KILLING their business model ;)

Enjoy them sweet screens on them EVO's!! :)

Upvote 0
If you want that sweet screen on the EVO, it certainly is forcing you ;)

No thats just a phone... if you elect the phone then you have to elect the plan that comes with it.. the same AT&T does with the Iphones..and what any other carrier will do.. the other carriers don't offer mobile to mobile except their own carrier.. I personally think it is a bargain regardless if I use 1500 minutes or not.. the option is there IF I need it for whatever reason... I am primarily data driven.. emails, texting, etc.. that is what I really pay for and what I expect to pay for.. I could give 2 craps less if they take away minutes (and they will) and did a data structure.. I will be able to see how much more data I will use on my Evo soon :D

Upvote 0
The biggest problem with Sprint's plans are the fact that with Unlimited mobile to mobile it made the larger minute plans pretty useless.

I mean, it was an ingenious move by Sprint...and no one has really tried matching that yet.

But, aside from grandparents and maybe older parents...who else would you call on landlines?

Who do you call if your cable/dsl/dishnetwork service is down...
Doctors office, DMV, utility companies. My acrylic suppliers all have/use landlines or their sales.

...from what I can tell, based on what you've provided you're saving maybe 10$ a month, a saving that could easily be wiped out by going over your alloted minutes once or twice.

Heck I originally switched to sprint, because i had a relative that was always calling me on Sprint and thus running up my minutes (this was before sprint stopped charging mobile to mobile).

...have to be careful watch you want/wish for too, go with AT&T's trend and you could start seeing ISP's do the same.

Upvote 0
sprint rep that seemed very competent told me that a family 1500 data + 1 extra line, 1 evo 2 free phones would cost me $220 per month.:mad: but i live in ny:(

edit: total monthly bill including tax and fees.:eek:

1 evo and 2 non evo lines shouldn't be that much.

2 lines on 1500 everything data plan =
$139.99/mo before taxes & surcharges or discounts
+ $19.99 additional 3rd line
+ $10.00 for one evo line
----------
$170/mo before taxes & surcharges or discounts

Edit: my bad, 2 lines are supposed to be 129.99, not 139.99, so it should be $160, not $170

Upvote 0
Not four EVO's- one and three standard phones with keyboards was quoted $180 before taxes. Sprint may not be increasing data plans directly for premium devices, but they are forcing people into premium plans. Same $ result- Assuming what I was told by the Sprint store in Lexington. Added: Called to confirm.

Price for four EVO's would be $210 per month, before taxes. One and three standard devices is $180. Not better deal unless you need that many minutes.

i had this discussion with a forum member earlier about this and couldn't figure out how they came up with VZW being cheaper, even with more minutes on Sprint. here, let me break it down for you...
we'll do 1 Evo and 3 regular smartphone devices (4 smartphones for VZW)

Sprint
129.99 + $10 (Evo charge) + 19.99 + 19.99 + = 179.97
that's 4 lines, 1500min, unlimited data, unlimited txt

VZW
$99 + 9.99 + 9.99 + 29.99 + 29.99 + 29.99 + 29.99 = 239.93
that's 4 lines, 700min, unlimited data, unlimited txt

so how do you figure it's less???
VZW gets you with that $29.99 unlimited data. and they do charge that per line, correct? i believe so.

edit: and if you're not doing data, Sprint's Everything Messaging Family is the same as VZW's, $99.99. once you start adding lines after the first two, though, then VZW's becomes $10 cheaper with each line added. but who doesn't have a smartphone these days???

Upvote 0
1 evo and 2 non evo lines shouldn't be that much.

2 lines on 1500 everything data plan =
$139.99/mo before taxes & surcharges or discounts
+ $19.99 additional 3rd line
+ $10.00 for one evo line
----------
$170/mo before taxes & surcharges or discounts

Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, Anytime is NOT 139.99. it is $129.99 - 1500min

Upvote 0
i had this discussion with a forum member earlier about this and couldn't figure out how they came up with VZW being cheaper, even with more minutes on Sprint. here, let me break it down for you...
we'll do 1 Evo and 3 regular smartphone devices (4 smartphones for VZW)

Sprint
129.99 + $10 (Evo charge) + 19.99 + 19.99 + = 179.97
that's 4 lines, 1500min, unlimited data, unlimited txt

VZW
$99 + 9.99 + 9.99 + 29.99 + 29.99 + 29.99 + 29.99 = 239.93
that's 4 lines, 700min, unlimited data, unlimited txt

so how do you figure it's less???
VZW gets you with that $29.99 unlimited data. and they do charge that per line, correct? i believe so.

edit: and if you're not doing data, Sprint's Everything Messaging Family is the same as VZW's, $99.99. once you start adding lines after the first two, though, then VZW's becomes $10 cheaper with each line added. but who doesn't have a smartphone these days???

My teen children would be dangerous with free web browsing on their devices and my wife could care less. All three just care anyways about being able to call when needed and texting like there is no tomorrow.

As stated earlier, multiple data plans and high call minutes makes more sense on Sprint.

Upvote 0
The biggest problem with Sprint's plans are the fact that with Unlimited mobile to mobile it made the larger minute plans pretty useless.

I mean, it was an ingenious move by Sprint...and no one has really tried matching that yet.

But, aside from grandparents and maybe older parents...who else would you call on landlines?

Any business on the planet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones