1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Is swype or shapewriter available anywhere?

Last Updated:

1. broadwayblue

broadwayblue Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's the story with these two keyboards? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Yet my wife's Epic came with Swype...and she has NO use for it since it's got the slide out keyboard. I don't get it.

Advertisement
  2. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

Swype is currently in beta and unfortunately the beta is closed. You can sign up to be notified when the beta reopens at beta.swype.com

Alternatively you can check XDA. I'm sure the apk is floating around there somewhere...

3. nu2android

nu2android Well-Known Member

You can actually download swype and install it. There are numerous threads on this subject but if you look under tips and tricks I'm sure you'll find the d/l instructions. I did and use swype, its a great little keyboard, also you can get slideit from the market which is a swype type kb

4. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

before swype, i was using shapewriter and slide it. Shapewriter was good and worked about the same as swype. My only problem with that is that if you are in the browser and try to type in a website that isnt spelled "normally" its really a PITA to get the web address in. you have to individually punch in the letters, and chances are good that by accident, youre gonna bump 2 letters, and then it trys forming a word. Slide it works great, and has a feature on the top to slide over to use as just a normal keyboard, making it great for websites and the sort. the only prob i had with slide it was it wouldnt accept my dictionary and the autocorrect was pretty sub par at best.

Now using swype, and loving it. its against forum rules to post the apk for it since its closed, but I heard a rumor that google can help :)

5. jduran0509

jduran0509 Member

amjad likes this.
  6. bjordan

bjordan Well-Known Member

There's an app called SlideIT that is supposed to work like Swype. I've never tried it but heard pretty good things about it.

SlideIT Soft Keyboard - Android app on AppBrain

There's a free trial version and a paid version. I have it booked marked and will probably try it out sometime soon.

7. broadwayblue

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you install an app after you download the apk? I've always just downloaded from the market, so installs were automatic.

8. Mavis Cruet

Mavis Cruet Well-Known Member

Connect your phone to your PC with the usb cable.
    Your SD card will show as a removable drive. Copy the downloaded app across.
    Use a file manager on your phone (I use Astro, free from the market) browse to the file and choose the install option.
    After it's installed it will show in your list of apps.
    To enable it in messages, you need to go to Settings - Language and Keyboards and tick the box. Say yes to the pop up box.
    When you want to choose a keyboard, long press in the text box before you start to type, choose input method, that will bring up a list of your installed ones.

9. broadwayblue

Thanks so much, sounds pretty straight forward. Last question, does it matter what folder I move the downloaded app to? Or does it not matter as the phone will install it to wherever it needs to go?

10. Jethro10

Jethro10 Well-Known Member

I've seen swype/shapewriter in use both as add-ons and on OEM phones.

I use SlideIT, to be honest, they are all much of a muchness which is to say they are all brilliant.
    SlideIT is easily available and made chasing the tail of the other two unnecessary for me.

Jeff

11. chawski

nope just drag and drop.

12. R1_Rydah

R1_Rydah Well-Known Member

actually shapewriter is still in the market, you can't search and find it but if you scan this qr code it will take you to it

Attached Files:

nomarsgirl likes this.
  13. bjordan

bjordan Well-Known Member

You can also click on the "download complete" message in the notification area when it's through downloading.

Or you can click Menu > Downloads in your browser (stock browser) and it'll show you all the files you've downloaded, just click on the file there to install it.

14. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

That's great! I had this version saved in case Swype expired again and I couldn't get it back. Unfortunately, I lost it when I wiped my phone to root it. I'm part of the official Swype beta, so I shouldn't have to worry, but I like to keep Shapewriter in case swype ever decides to end the beta.

15. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Don't forget guys, no linking to Swype.apks.

I don't want to have to delete more posts from this thread.

16. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

17. Lean23

Lean23 Well-Known Member

If you still have the email with the swype beta link on it, you can just uninstall swype from your phone and then click the link to re-install the swype beta back on your phone. It should work. I've done it twice now after my original beta expired.

18. broadwayblue

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

19. broadwayblue

Awesome! Thanks for the QR code.

20. 2492wodahs

2492wodahs New Member

Yeah i scanned it with my barcode scanner but idk how to make it pop up in market, i'll feel real stupid if its already gone.

21. chawski

i think its currently gone from the market, however i HIGHLY recommend ultra keyboard. Ive sworn by smart keyboard pro and i think this one just took the cake. Swype-like gestures works wonderfully, even better than swype did on my hero, but it also allows you to type normally, and even supports multitouch.

22. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

Man I don't know about that, I just found Smart Keyboard Pro today and IMHO it is by far the better keyboard. I can type so much faster now. No more swype for me :)