• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is "telegram" app a virus?

Why do you suspect this app may be a virus? It seems to be just another of the many internet messaging apps in the Play Store.

TELEGRAM is not any messengering app. Its a TROJAN HORSE virus generating platfom for Hackers based in New Zealand are behind dis shameless henious act.Pls. forwad to others asap.Issued in public interest by:Instant RajodiShots & Arrow Ltd.U.S.A.

Isn't it True?????

Upvote 0
Where did you get that from?

I've never heard of the app. I looked it up in the Play Store because you mentioned it. A quick Web search found a review where someone had posted the text you quote, and the app development responding that the app is open source so you can check if you want.

A lot of stuff on the net isn't true. Can't say for sure, but this seems very low key if it is true (stories of malware in the Play Store usually get more coverage), so pending further research (not tonight) my feeling is that it's probably someone spreading malicious stories.

Upvote 0
Where did you get that from?

I've never heard of the app. I looked it up in the Play Store because you mentioned it. A quick Web search found a review where someone had posted the text you quote, and the app development responding that the app is open source so you can check if you want.

A lot of stuff on the net isn't true. Can't say for sure, but this seems very low key if it is true (stories of malware in the Play Store usually get more coverage), so pending further research (not tonight) my feeling is that it's probably someone spreading malicious stories.

Well,thank you you took time to check it out. I got it from some twitter too as well as on the app page in play store. They provide the app source but not the server's source.
Um anyways,thank you aloooooot.

Upvote 0
It's in Apples (and other Android detractors) best interest to use their vast connections indirectly to spread FUD about Android Apps. Generating fear of Viruses, Trojans, Malware, etc making Android appear especially vulnerable, is what they do.

If one makes the effort to use only Play Store Apps, Android thus far, has a pretty decent track record.

While it can be said that no app on any platform is completely immune, overall it's not a rampant issue.

Reactions: leona_
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones