• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is that an iphone?

DellyBelly

Jan 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sooo, got my first legitimate drool session from people who ONLY know of the iphone. (Was a bunch of women co-workers my wife works with).

The one girl is like; ohhh damn, what kind of Iphone is that? I just smiled and gave her the phone while explaining that it was a Nexus. Passed it around the table like a hot blond.

I'm still so surprised how ingrained apple is with the general public, it's amazing and they are definitely attacking the right audience.

Even back when I had Windows Mobile I had people asking me if it was an iPhone. Even people that don't own one know what it is and assume every smartphone is an iPhone.

When you think about it though, Apple was really the only ones that did TV commercials that focus solely on the phone. You see carrier commercials that might mention a phone, but not many commercials dedicated to a phone.

Verizon/Motorola finally picked up on this tactic and I've seen lots of Droid commercials, which is probably what helped make it popular among the general public. I'm surprised more carriers and manufacturers don't do this.

Upvote 0
I'm still so surprised how ingrained apple is with the general public.

I'm so surprised you actually managed to find a woman....a group of them, no less, interested in anything technical.

Every single woman I know has as much interest in technology as I do in flower arranging. I wouldn't even bother to show one my new HTC Desire, the indifference would be overwhelming.

Upvote 0
I'm so surprised you actually managed to find a woman....a group of them, no less, interested in anything technical.

Every single woman I know has as much interest in technology as I do in flower arranging. I wouldn't even bother to show one my new HTC Desire, the indifference would be overwhelming.

I'm one of the lucky ones too I guess...

Wife has an iPhone (soon to upgrade to Nexus One now that they have one for AT&T 3G) and we both play WoW and other games (PC, PS3 and XBox 360 games)... It's somewhat unfair since she has more spare time than I do and is better at Modern Warfare than I am (I am SO tired of not being able to kill her as much as she kills me). :p

Upvote 0

Well i don't think they were taken by the tech per se; but more that they saw a huge screen with an animated wallpaper desktop. (eye candy) as well as the facebook pictures next to my contact's; gets them everytime.

And unfortunately; my wife is a totally nongamer or has any interest in computer anything :(

I gave her my jailbroke and unlocked iphone and she just broke it 3 days ago with a shattered screen :(

Upvote 0
Statistically young males are the majority of the android users, I imagine most of you have seen the stats. To me it seems like many people are only just recently starting to realize there are other smartphones with different capabilities and operating systems. I havent seen any objective stats but the droid campaign certainly made some real world people I know aware that there was something more than feature phones and the iphone available.

Upvote 0
Even back when I had Windows Mobile I had people asking me if it was an iPhone. Even people that don't own one know what it is and assume every smartphone is an iPhone.

When you think about it though, Apple was really the only ones that did TV commercials that focus solely on the phone. You see carrier commercials that might mention a phone, but not many commercials dedicated to a phone.

Verizon/Motorola finally picked up on this tactic and I've seen lots of Droid commercials, which is probably what helped make it popular among the general public. I'm surprised more carriers and manufacturers don't do this.

ppl asked the same question when i had the htc touch and sometimes when i didn't feel like explaing winmo i would say "it's an iphone mini"

Upvote 0
not to get off subject, but do you want your sister?

Maybe hes from the south in the U.S?

But yea if he doesn't I'd take her for a ride. (or two)

O and as far as the topic goes..Some dudes at my work asked me what phone I was holding..told them a Nexus One..and they looked like they just got hit by the ******ed stick, then I said its a phone from Google, and they were like o. LoL

Upvote 0
Maybe hes from the south in the U.S?

But yea if he doesn't I'd take her for a ride. (or two)

O and as far as the topic goes..Some dudes at my work asked me what phone I was holding..told them a Nexus One..and they looked like they just got hit by the ******ed stick, then I said its a phone from Google, and they were like o. LoL

thank you for geting us back on track.....

i wish google would advertise

the moto droid sold more than the iphone, why? cuz every minute was a new droid comercial

Upvote 0
Im always being asked what phone i have to which my answer is this the *&^%uiphone phone. It just amazes me how ingrained it is in people heads, but i also agree that google would do well by advertising the nexus one. Especially when you think about the fact that its available (or soon will be) not just on all 4 major US carriers but all the Canadian ones as well as in Europe.

Upvote 0
Im always being asked what phone i have to which my answer is this the *&^%uiphone phone. It just amazes me how ingrained it is in people heads, but i also agree that google would do well by advertising the nexus one. Especially when you think about the fact that its available (or soon will be) not just on all 4 major US carriers but all the Canadian ones as well as in Europe.

Just like you stated, how can the general public have any idea what your Nexus is when every other commercial on TV is about the iPhone. If carriers did more Android phone advertising, people would know what they were. People are starting to know what the Droid is.

Upvote 0
My girlfriend (an iPhone 3GS owner) tried out the Nexus One for a couple of weeks and sent it back, so there are stories on both sides of the fence. ;)

true, the nexus isn't for everybody, but i'm willing to bet more people would get an android phone if they knew more about it. i'm not saying everybody with an iphone would get an android but i feel some would change

not to change total subject but look at Palm, WebOS is sweet and the Palms come with free mobile hot spot on verizon and the pre is $50 buy one get one free, but because they never advertise and when they do it's just weird, nobody wants a Palm

Upvote 0
Sooo, got my first legitimate drool session from people who ONLY know of the iphone. (Was a bunch of women co-workers my wife works with).

The one girl is like; ohhh damn, what kind of Iphone is that? I just smiled and gave her the phone while explaining that it was a Nexus. Passed it around the table like a hot blond.

I'm still so surprised how ingrained apple is with the general public, it's amazing and they are definitely attacking the right audience.

What's amazing is how much marketing matters. Apple is a marketing company that happens to sell technology.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones