• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the 1GHz processor fast enough?

goya

Jul 7, 2011
US
I am beginning to wonder if this is why 2.3 might not work for us. Here are some of the performance issues I have found. My Inspire is non-rooted with the side load update and minimal shortcuts and widgets running on 3 homescreens.

1. Reboots and boots are slightly slower, even when taking the battery out. The at&t logo hangs longer than normal.

2. 'Messages' app has to catch up. I will sometimes open Messages and for a split second it shows the numbers and not names but then it corrects.

3. Last night Messages actually crashed.

4. Using Advanced Task Killer, even after shutting down unwanted apps, still only shows 400MB available memory.

For starters...ditch ATK. It is causing you more problems than helping you and you don't even realize it. Unused RAM is wasted RAM...and trust me you aren't going to run out because Android knows when it needs to dump apps and when it doesn't.

The lowest amount of available RAM my Inspire will drop to is right around 100-120 MB...no matter what apps I run..and thats because the OS knows what its doing and how to do it for the most part.

So don't get bent out of shape over available RAM..and let the phone do its job.

And secondly...the Inspire has WAY more than enough horsepower to operate 2.3 (gingerbread) smoothly. With the popularity of this phone and others like it (i.e. Desire HD, Thunderbolt, etc...), it will have a good life for at least the next 1-2 years.

Upvote 0
For starters...ditch ATK. It is causing you more problems than helping you and you don't even realize it. Unused RAM is wasted RAM...and trust me you aren't going to run out because Android knows when it needs to dump apps and when it doesn't.

The lowest amount of available RAM my Inspire will drop to is right around 100-120 MB...no matter what apps I run..and thats because the OS knows what its doing and how to do it for the most part.

So don't get bent out of shape over available RAM..and let the phone do its job.

And secondly...the Inspire has WAY more than enough horsepower to operate 2.3 (gingerbread) smoothly. With the popularity of this phone and others like it (i.e. Desire HD, Thunderbolt, etc...), it will have a good life for at least the next 1-2 years.

+1, and I get tired of seeing questions of whether the Inspire is powerful enough. I even saw a thread once that pondered if it was considered mid-range :eek:. Stop it! The Inspire is one of the most powerful devices on the market, period. Outside of the dual cores with a gig of RAM, nothing trumps it (and even most of the dual cores don't outperform it in the real world, outside of the GSII). The Inspire will be very solid for the duration.

Bottom line, if someone finds the Inspire to give them a sub-par performance experience, they're doing something wrong or have a defective unit.

Upvote 0
I am beginning to wonder if this is why 2.3 might not work for us. Here are some of the performance issues I have found. My Inspire is non-rooted with the side load update and minimal shortcuts and widgets running on 3 homescreens.

1. Reboots and boots are slightly slower, even when taking the battery out. The at&t logo hangs longer than normal.

2. 'Messages' app has to catch up. I will sometimes open Messages and for a split second it shows the numbers and not names but then it corrects.

3. Last night Messages actually crashed.

4. Using Advanced Task Killer, even after shutting down unwanted apps, still only shows 400MB available memory.

1. That happens to a lot of people. It just means it is thinking. It is basically a small computer!
2. I wouldn't know, I only use Google Voice.
3. Same as #2.
4. There is only 520 MB to start with of RAM. 400 available is great. Consider that the phone needs RAM to operate the OS and other important features. The minimum of RAM that the phone uses is about 100-150 or so. I try to keep my phone under 200 MB when it is just sitting around. With Auto-sync and everything updating when charging, it goes up to almost 300 MB.

Upvote 0
screenshot1323053861293.png

The proc in this phone is more than fast enough to do way more than you think. this is on a rooted overclocked inspire. this proc is stable solid and fast. the single core proc on current android operating systems is very viable because the android operating system is not totaly prepaired for the dual proc platform anyway. :D

Upvote 0
When people say that the inspire isnt the top phone on the market i laugh at them....i have alot of friends who have evo 4g's and other newer devices from HTC or other companies, and without breaking a sweat, my inspire blows it apart. I have an over clocked inspire to run a constant 500 mhz and to top out at around 1.5 ghz on performance level and it faster than my computer and more reliable.

for one, the phone is extreamly durable, ive dropped it and guess what its not broken. no dents, or scratches. unlike an iPhone where if it falls on a carpeted floor it will breakl into a million pieces and the screen is busted and apple wont fix it. They suck

and i just got my gf the new HTC Vivid, and that has a dual-core proc and as far is doing a few things at once, im faster and better, but she has me beat on the LTE, sorta jealous, but im usually on a wifi connection so it doesnt matter all that much.

HTC really did there homework when they released this phone. They actually did something that most companies dont do, that is make sure its perfect when its released. To me its perfect. The inspire will be the top droid device for a while i feel.

and 2.3 was made for the phone...HTC did a firmware update for it, if it couldnt handle it why would they wants us to update it???? I personally think ICS runs better on it... i ran the beta version for a few days it was fast as S**T...cant wait for Cyanogen to release an RC or Stable version.

well thats enough for me today..:):):)

Drew

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones