Is the 2.2 update worth it? Pro's and Con's..

1. WTFatt

WTFatt New Member

OK Aria folks the big question. Is the 2.2 update for the Aria worth it? We need some pro's and con's from the folks who have taken the leap to the 2.2 update and figure out if the non updated firmware is worth sticking with for a while longer. I have yet to update my phone and started this thread because I am super board waiting for this -12kb/s download to finish before the next update becomes available. Let

Advertisement
  2. Droidized

Droidized Well-Known Member

Mine is on Liberated FR008 (thanks ATTN1) and I have no regrets. Everything I need working - works, less bloatware, and some extra features. I like having the option to use live wallpapers, tethering, and access apps that require 2.2.

I can't say that I've noticed any significant difference in functional speed or battery (plus or minus) - it seems about the same to me in daily use.

3. tpbklake

tpbklake Well-Known Member

4. erwaso

erwaso Well-Known Member

the only pro to 2.2 corporate update is u keep the warrnty. just root ur aria lol
  5. howmar

howmar New Member

With the update my Aria is faster, the browser is considerably faster and the battery life seems to have improved.
  6. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I don't have an aria, but the app to sd is a godsend on any phone imo.
  7. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

I have had no problems with the new update and do seem to be getting better battery life.
  8. OJsakila

OJsakila Well-Known Member

Trade your freedom for supposed better battery life? I dont think so. Try doing some research first and you'll find that updating would nullify any possibility of rooting.

Your question should be, "How do I root?"

My battery last several days as long as I dont stream movies and/or video. A lot longer than this horse dung update offers, that's for sure.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Aria:_Full_Update_Guide
  9. mmiller2002

mmiller2002 Well-Known Member

OJ, IF I follow your root suggestion, can I go back to factory easily?
    If so, how?

Thanks
  10. OJsakila

OJsakila Well-Known Member

Absolutley. Read around on that site I linked for you...Its light years ahead of this place for technical stuff... i.e. NEW FIRMWARE. I "flashed" two different firmwares in the last hour just to see what they offered..

Small learning curve at first but as soon as you can understand the lingo, it's like taking candy from a baby...really..
  11. Phinsfan65

Phinsfan65 Member

Hi just got my Aria going with AT&T. I was with Alltel.
    When I turn my phone on I get a message on my screen
    saying there are updates ready for download, then get a
    message saying there was a server error. Then my mobile
    internet is turned on without me doing it.
    Is this AT&T's way of getting me to update with 2.2?
    This also is happening with my son and daughters phones also.
  12. DynaBMan

DynaBMan Member

I have been running 2.2 for the past couple of weeks and the battery on my Aria lasts noticeably longer. The phone has locked up a couple of times, but I think that is because I was trying to do too many things at the same time.
  13. flipman2013

flipman2013 New Member

I think I am having the same problem as Phinsfan. I just got my HTC aria courtesy of the Alltel/AT&T merger thing. I really do not want to go and download all my favorite apps before I update it to froyo. That way no backing up is required. Is there a reason I can not access the 2.2 update through the system update or through the htc website?

Edit: Never mind, I can get if off the HTC website with Firefox but not with chrome. Hopefully it all works now.
  14. vanessaaa041

vanessaaa041 New Member

hi...i am new to android and to smartphones in general, so i have many questions! haha...currently using "on the fly backup", "appbrain", and "my pro backup"..do i just re-download "appbrain", "on the fly backup", and "my pro backup" apps after the froyo update to restore all my previously installed apps and other data (text messages, audio, pics, contacts, etc)? "appbrain" has an online acct..is there a way to just restore them from that online acct?...on the htc aria upgrade website, it says that "All applications downloaded from Market are linked to the Gmail account set up on the device and can be restored to the device using that Gmail account." im not sure what that means and where would i go to restore all my apps? like where can i sign in to restore the apps?

also do i have to re-customize how i did each screen after the froyo update? like the different widgets and such on each screen?

lastly, this is a silly one, but will the games (like the levels i am currently on and have completed) be deleted and ill have to start from the beginning again? or will the data from within the apps be saved as well? or is there a way to back that up also?

thank you!