• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the battery or the usb the problem?

whouffle

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Hey Everyon! I'm Mel! I need help with a problem I've been having with my phone.

So about late July/Early August of 2013 I got a brand new Samsung Galaxy s3. I love it. It worked fine blah blah blah, and up till about 2 months or so ago, I noticed that my phone would start to charge slowly. And from then on, it's only worsened. It charges VERY slowly, if it charges at all at times.

Here's the thing. I bought a new adapter, because when my phone started charging slowly, I thought the adapter might have been the problem. Bought a new adapter, it didn't work on my phone. Let me just say that the new adapter works on my sister's phone (it's a prism or whatever). My phone will, however, charge when it's connected to the computer - any computer. But only with certain USBs. With mine sometimes it works. Someone else charged it for me on Sunday, (she said it was the very first usb for the mytouch so ?) and it worked. only got up to 41% but it worked.

So to make things short(ish), my phone will only charged when it's connected to a computer (with some usb's). It will not charge with any adapter. It still charges extremely slowly. I'm beginning to think it's the usb AND the battery.... but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to buy something and for my phone to not return back to normal anymore, just cuz I got the wrong thing or whatever.

Can anyone help me???? Could the battery AND the usb be the problem? My phone won't even charge as of now and it's only at 35% and it's off. I'm using it for emergencies only, that's why it's off. PLEASE HELP ME! thanks guys!!!:(

My S3, which i've had since about June 2012, has definitely got a dodgy port. Charging with the official Samsung charger, yields very poor charging to the mains and to usb, with only about 30-40% of battery being charged when connected overnight and phone is in airplane mode.
It will discharge when it is connected to the mains and being used.

Using the micro USB charger that came with my wife's huwawei android phone, is much more successful. It is a much tighter fit in the port and i think the pin is a touch longer too. It charges like the official one used to, fully charging in about 2 hours and even charging whilst being used.

Considering my phone is out of warranty and i'm likely to replace it in the next few months when the new phones are out, i am sticking with using my wife's charger.
If yours is in warranty and/or you are planning on keeping it a while, get them to replace it as it is likely that the port is damaged.

Upvote 0
I purchased a brand new GS3 from Sprint about three months ago, and I noticed that it was charging slowly when I tried to charge it with the AC adapter that came with the phone. When I would look at the battery settings while it was charging, it would show that it was "USB charging". It should show "AC charging" when it is plugged into a wall adapter, and "USB charging" when it is plugged into a computers USB port. AC charging is much faster and I believe it uses more current to charge the phone faster.

But it wasn't the adapter that was the problem, it was the USB wire that came with the adapter. I replaced it with the USB wire that came with my previous GS2 adapter, plugged that wire into the GS3 adapter, and it started AC charging much faster.

I also noticed that sometimes my phone would charge slower than other times. Maybe background processes that are running are using the battery. So I always go to the task manager and delete all the previous apps (hold down home button, then press button at bottom, right) before I set my phone down to charge. It seems to charge a little faster that way.

Does your battery settings show USB charging or AC charging when it is plugged in to the wall adapter? Have you tried a different USB wire with the same AC adapter?

Upvote 0
Hey Everyon! I'm Mel! I need help with a problem I've been having with my phone.

So about late July/Early August of 2013 I got a brand new Samsung Galaxy s3. I love it. It worked fine blah blah blah, and up till about 2 months or so ago, I noticed that my phone would start to charge slowly. And from then on, it's only worsened. It charges VERY slowly, if it charges at all at times.

Here's the thing. I bought a new adapter, because when my phone started charging slowly, I thought the adapter might have been the problem. Bought a new adapter, it didn't work on my phone. Let me just say that the new adapter works on my sister's phone (it's a prism or whatever). My phone will, however, charge when it's connected to the computer - any computer. But only with certain USBs. With mine sometimes it works. Someone else charged it for me on Sunday, (she said it was the very first usb for the mytouch so ?) and it worked. only got up to 41% but it worked.

So to make things short(ish), my phone will only charged when it's connected to a computer (with some usb's). It will not charge with any adapter. It still charges extremely slowly. I'm beginning to think it's the usb AND the battery.... but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to buy something and for my phone to not return back to normal anymore, just cuz I got the wrong thing or whatever.

Can anyone help me???? Could the battery AND the usb be the problem? My phone won't even charge as of now and it's only at 35% and it's off. I'm using it for emergencies only, that's why it's off. PLEASE HELP ME! thanks guys!!!:(

Many people are having charging issues with samsung phones. Nobody knows why yet. Here is a work around that might work for you. I bought this kit for me. It consist of two 2200mAh batteries and a wall charger. It works for me.

Amazon.com: Anker

Upvote 0
Hey guys, sorry I've not yet replied. I didn't see these until now.

Today I went and got a new battery. Has a one year warranty. Seems like a good battery. When I put it in my phone I got a 58% charge as opposed to the 38% I had left on the old one.

Now I've a new issue. None of the chargers work on my phone. My original usb and the original adapter do not work. Let me give you a rundown, in case this helps (note: my dad does not have a smart phone, so he's ruled out):

Original adapter + original usb = no good
sister's adapter + my original usb = no good
sister's adapter + HER usb = no good
mom's charger = no good (it's not detachable)
brand new wall adapter I bought + original usb = no good

I just switched it to airplane mode and nothing. It's plugged in right now with the new battery in place and it's stuck on 51%. Please if someone knows what could be the issue here, PLEASE HELP ME! I've had this issue for about 2 months now it's driving me to the verge of insanity. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones