1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Is the camera as unpredictable as the reviews say?General

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

I am considering switching from the s4. I have read a couple of reviews that seem to have the same theme: the camera is Ok in good light, but very unpredictable in less than ideal situations. What is your real world experience? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Advertisement
    :
  2. jalov

jalov Well-Known Member

I'm coming from the droid 4, so my comparison may be skewered, but I absolutely love the pic quality on the maxx. Sometimes may have to snap one or two extra shots to get it perfect but its a camera on a phone so I'm not expecting perfection. Also if you hold your finger on the screen it will take multiple shots automatically and you can delete the ones you don't want in a matter or seconds
  3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

This was a point and click in really mixed light taken the other day with my Maxx. You tell me how bad it is... ;)

Attached Files:

4. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

And here is another. I like this one a lot...

Attached Files:

5. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Well-Known Member

Camera comparison to impressions formed from images taken with a DSLR isn't fair. I want to see side by side images taken from smartphones at the same place and nearly the same time.
  6. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is the type of shots most of us parents will be taking. Point, click, shoot, and share. Nice quality if you ask me.
  7. distortedloop

distortedloop Member

One site I watch says the unpredictability of the camera on the Droids and the Moto X is just the default settings the camera ships with.

HDR is on auto mode. Turn it off and the camera does better. Touch to figure should be turned on also.

The best way to get a good picture is to take a lot of pictures.
  8. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

Biggest camera complaint for me is situations with mixed brightness, where the subject is in the shadowed area and there are bright highlights behind (under a tree on a sunny day, for instance). The phone seems to always default to exposing the highlights correctly, leaving my subject underexposed. Even with Tap To Focus (you'd think by default this would also determine the exposure).

My Nexus, as bad as its camera was trounced by reviewers, didn't give me this problem. I'd also say the Nexus had faster focus and shot to shot times. I was always happy with that camera.

My rule is to take lots of photos. So despite these observations, the camera is fine --great under even light, and very good for still subjects in low light. Don't expect to blow low light pics up too big, though: the noise kills it.
  9. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

working fine for me.

(for reference I shoot a D90)
  10. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Well-Known Member

yea....it's a mixed bag. it seems to have two different modes, and it's not the HDR auto mentioned above. At some point it switches to a night mode which tries to get as much detail into the shot in low light as possible at the expense of noise and postprocessing artifacts.

also, just in general the colors are washed out
  11. Spg210

Spg210 Member

I've noticed mixed results. My girlfriend has an S4 and we tested our cameras, taking photos of the same objects. The S4 performance was more consistent. I found that I had to take a few shots in order to get a clear photo. My conclusion is the Maxx takes serviceable photos most of the time. But nothing on the level of the S4. If taking quality photos with little effort is important to you, you might want to pass on the Maxx. It might frustrate you.