Is the DHD too big?General

Last Updated:

1. shuandrew

shuandrew Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've read a couple of reviews and the opinions in comments sections, and a few people are mentioning that the DHD is just too big. I used to have an SE Satio, so I'm used to a bit of a beefy handset, but for you that have the DHD right now (ignoring the benefits of a big screen for browsing, ease of typing etc.)... is it, just in the physical sense just like wow, it's massive - as in, will people 'lawl' at you for buying such a big ass phone?

Advertisement
  2. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Who gives a good god damn about what others will think?

If you're a wee man then it might be too big. If you're not then it won't. Go to a shop and check it yourself. Size is a matter of perception.

SpencerUk likes this.
  3. SpencerUk

SpencerUk Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been covered already.

As Sith says, you really need to play with it yourself. It's going to be YOUR device at the end of the day. You need to understand this.

Anyway, general perception is bigger the better..well thats women generally tend to think ;) haha!

4. forth250

forth250 New Member

I live in New Zealand, and am currently torn between the Desire and the desire HD. I can't easily compare between the two phones as the HTC desire HD is not in shops here and will not be released for quite a few more months.

I am very concerned that the HTC desire HD will be too big. I have picked up a samsung galaxy and that felt quite big, possibly at the limit as to what I would feel comfortable with, how much bigger does the DHD feel that the samsung galaxy?

5. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

The screen is too big. Navigating with one hand is almost impossible when you have to enter each letter on the keyboard with the entire palm of your hand as opposed to the tip of your finger. But nice to browse and watch YouTube on. I love it.

6. mbnasir6

mbnasir6 Member

It's OPINION. In a review you can't say a phone is bad because it is too big (well maybe if it's reaching 5"). I like a big screen, some people don't, I prefer everything being bigger, clearer, making a touch screen easier to use. Others may think it makes it bulgy, harder to use one handed, etc

7. SpencerUk

*looks on*

Instead of asking us, go into the shop and play around with both and see which one you prefer.

End of the day, its your phone, your hand, your fingers!.

I mean seriously?..This is your OPINON like mbnasir6 says below.

I have big hands so I prefer a bigger screen. I can navigate it well enough.

Exactly, its the users choice...there preferance!.

8. shanedean

shanedean Member

Galaxy S

122.4mm x 64.2mm x 9.9mm and weighs 119g

Desire HD

123mm x 68mm x 11.8mm and weighs 164g

Desire

119mm x 60mm x 11.9mm and weighs 135g

(Source GSMArena)

Hope this helps a bit forth250. Basically not a lot bigger than SGS (esp. considering the bigger screen) but a fair amount heavier...

forth250 likes this.
  9. miophone

miophone Active Member

definitely not too big. the extra estate on the screen is a real luxury. i miss high resolution of my iphone4 but when i go back to the phone i feel things are quite small on the display, lol.

my only gripe is the power button (and for waking the phone up). i don't have small hands, but they're also not huge. it's quite a struggle to do that with one hand. if they didn't recess the button in such a weird way, i wouldn't have this issue.

oh well, nothing's perfect! :)

10. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

I played with a dhd today. I currently own a sgs. And in all honestly it felt no bigger but the screen looked lots bigger I even said to the htc rep who happened to be in the shop how much bigger it looks than it actually is.

forth250 likes this.
  11. SpencerUk

I would agree with you on that..I would like it if HTC could implement by touching menu twice would unlock the device or atleast light the screen up :)

12. Mojo Fones

Mojo Fones Active Member

I think it's an almost perfect size, and this is *MY* opinion. I put it next to the Nexus One and the physical size difference is marginal when you compare the two screen sizes side by side. Two opposing digits aloft.