Is the Droid Screen Pocket Safe?

Last Updated:

1. Blackbrawler

Blackbrawler Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know some other motorola phones (the cliq) tend to break when you put it in your pocket? Does the same go for the droid?

Advertisement
  2. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

No, it seems to be pretty durable. Ive had no problem and keep mine is my jeans pocket often, and have no screen protector.

3. Blackbrawler

Yeah i just saw this video

... I think the screen might be adequate.

4. clozer

clozer Member

Lmao! The video says it all.

5. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with that video. It tells you that under normal circumstances a key will not hurt you glass screen.

How hard an object it determines whether it will scratch or be scratched. Metal may not scratch it.....but one of the hardest naturally occurring substances is sand. Sand WILL scratch glass and should any get into your pocket....Your screen will not win.

Keys could also scratch the backside of the phone.

I myself am going naked for now.....but I intend to get a screen protector at least.

6. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I haven't had any scratches on my Droid, and I keep it in my pocket that occasionally has keys and change in it, because I'm forgetful or careless sometimes. It's in great shape so far. I have yet to have any sand get in my pockets.

7. clozer

clozer Member

I try and place the screen towards my leg when I think about it. I do carry mine naked with just a Verizon screen protector. I have had no issues.

8. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

Be careful. Many Droid users, including myself, are having an issue with dust getting UNDER the screen, and I even carry mine in a holster, so imagine what a pocket could do!

9. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

Also, as you all have noticed the ear piece is recessed on the top part of the phone. This makes it a huuuuuge lint trap. Before I put on my Boxwave Clear touch anti glare screen, there was a hair and lint party going on in my earpiece. Once i cleaned it and put on the screen, parties are happening none existent!

10. Blackbrawler

Under the screen? WTF? How is that even possible and what exactly happens when it does happen?

The ultimate Question is how to prevent it?

Well i dont Drive so i really dont have to worry about keys and even though i live in Florida I dont come in contact with Sand.

Whats interesting is you kind of right about sand being really hard (i think of sand paper)

I guess i should change the thread tile into "ways i can protect my Droid (free)"

11. NAFLASH

NAFLASH Member

I had the same problem with my first one. I exchanged it for a new one. One thing I noticed is that on the box my first droid came had a date marked 10/23. My new one was marked 11/29. So maybe the first phones made were messed up? I'm not sure this is just a theory...

12. GaryL

GaryL Member

pants pocket. It's very, very inexpensive, less than ten bucks. The Droid fits in perfectly. It's probably sold in lots of places but I got mine on Amazon.

13. Steinman

Steinman Member

Yeah... I learned this the hard way.. I work doing landscape, I had some sand in my pocket after work one day and now my screen has 3 scratches on it. 1 is really deep and noticeable. Wish i would have decided to go with a screen protector =(

14. Blackbrawler

what if i put my Droid in a Zip lock bag, will that be efficient?

15. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I suppose you could, but do you really want to put the phone in a bag and then take it out every time you have to slip it in or out of your pocket? Seems inconvenient. Better off just getting a nice screen protector like a Zagg.

16. Blackbrawler

I was joking, lol taking a phone out of a ziplock bag is just straight ghetto. I probably won't be able to buy anything but I'll come up with something.

Also do you guys think rocks or something would hurt the screen? (i run track)

17. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

Not Unless you are a Player and Carry Diamonds in your pocket. The Screen Is Glass, it will break, but the only thing that can scratch it is Diamonds.

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Break when you put it in your pocket? As if the sliding of the phone into your pocket could possibly break the screen?

Not trying to sound harsh... but in my experience, I carry my phone, and carried my iPhone in my pocket. I have never had problems.

I would avoid doing things like running obstacle courses, but in normal day-to-day use, the phone will be fine in your pocket. Just face the glass against your leg, that way even a pretty solid bump won't damage the phone.

19. Blackbrawler

Fray Adjacent. I know it sounds stupid the first time you hear it (it did to me to) but people seriously put a phone in their pocket and take it back out to find a broken screen.
    If that happens to me I'll probably go into cardiac arrest from the emotional shock.

20. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a pattern to the Droids that are having the dust/screen issue. Actually, I probably made my situation sound worse than it really is. At this point, I only have a speck or 2 under the screen, which is probably noticeable only to an "OCD-Eye"...lol. However, this has been a reported issue, and some users are having this dust problem real bad, so I still don't suggest you putting a naked Droid in your pocket.

21. jdb

jdb Well-Known Member

Sand will/can scratch your screen. It happened to me. I was laying patio pavers in the yard and even though I had washed those jeans, there was still some residual sand in my pocket, which led to one nice scratch in the upper left corner. Good new is, once i put invishield on it, you cannot see to scratch anymore!

22. Steinman

Steinman Member

How bad was the scratch? If it made a bad scratch not noticeable I might have to try this. I got a bad scratch right in the middle of my screen, it really ticks me off lol.

23. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

You really should read the thread before you post. Sand has been discussed several times in this thread and can and WILL scratch it.

24. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

Thanks For the Insight Mod.

25. jdb

jdb Well-Known Member

It was bad enough that it was all I seemed to focus on. It was only an inch or so, but it was deep enough that it would not "rub out". The invisishield (or whichever brand works for you) is the way to go. I cant even tell that scratch is there now. Not as silky smooth feeling to the screen now, but the invisishield is not that tacky.