Is the dust issue that severe?

Last Updated:

1. jxr94

jxr94 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My hero from ebay arrived today and i noticed in the packaging the owner had place a tissue paper on the screen. Upon turning on my device i realized there was dust under the screen. Oddly it is that annoying and only shows up on white screens. how bad does it get to annoy some of you?

Advertisement
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Not that bad, but over time it can get worst, you can take it to a Sprint repair store in your neighborhood and they will fix it in 15 minutes
    , as long as you have a Sprint contract

3. MrERainey

MrERainey Member

I had the same issue, and hated it. I was able to take my phone back because it was within the first 30 days. They also told me it is considered a defect and HTC / Sprint would replace it if I wanted. The newer ones have a sealed screen.

4. jxr94

They fix it for free?

5. DonB

Yep they sure do, I brought mine there and they replace the Trackerball and no more Dust, or Dirt
    , at least that is what the report said

6. jxr94

When you say contract you mean like a 2 year agreement or a warranty? I have not purchased the warranty for the phone....

Also i have a Zagg screen protecter on it will they be able to work around it?

7. DonB

I mean Monthly Phone Service from Sprint

jxr94 likes this.
  8. jxr94

So i took my phone in today and the first guy told me the issue was cosmetic and there wasnt anything they could do. I sat down for a bit and decided to check out the evo while i was there. After fidling around wiht it i decided to ask another person if my phone could be fixed. the second guy i spoke to sat me down and told me they would have it done by 7 since the store was so busy and he printed out something to come pick the phone back up and he gave it to the techs. Why is it that this employee was able to get my phone seen (and fixed i assume) and the other was not. People are crazy lol:D

9. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Because he was A. Not Knowledgeable about it, and B. Didn't give a damn.

10. jxr94

I agree.

11. DonB

Could not of said it better myself, when in doubt ask and ask again

12. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Sprint =suckage

13. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Sprint is awesome, it's just sometimes their sales people suck. Same with every other company around the globe.

14. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

True story, bad customer service = AT&T

15. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

How in the world does the dust get under the screen o_O?

16. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I believe on first gen Hero sets that there is no sealant on the corners of the screen. As far as severity I think it depends on where you live (dusty enviroment such as mine) and/or your level of OCD. I'm probably going to take mine apart to clean it out and seal it up pretty soon.

17. DonB

I think it may be from the Trackerball, I took mine in to a Sprint repair center and they took it apart and fixed it, when they gave it to me, they gave me the ticket number report with it to sign, and it said replaced Trackerball, so who knows, I barely even use the Trackerball, LOL

18. Joehunni

I've had two heros each with a little dust under the corners of the screen in well under a month. I don't live around dust and I take better care of my phone than anyone in the world.

19. eloc

eloc Member

i didnt mind to much about the dust but after i upgraded to 2.1 and had issues with my bluetooth connecting then found out i couldnt go back to 1.5 i called sprint and talked to tech support and complained about the dust under my screen hoping they'll replace it with a hero with 1.5 and guess what? they replaced it with another hero with 1.5 and i love my phone all over again. but heres the kicker, the phone replacement has a couple of specs of dust under the screen!

if it gets worse then ill take it to the sprint repair place but now it doesnt bother me to much.

20. Joehunni

Yeah I will consider it if mine gets noticably worse, as it stands now you can only see it under direct sunlight at an angle with the screen off. I've heard most sprint repair centers wont touch them though and will have you send it off to HTC for service, which I would not be happy about.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

21. DonB

I just got a replacement from them and it had 2.1 already on it, and yes take it to a Sprint repair store and they will fix it on the spot, do not take no for an answer some of them are lost, if one won't do it ask to speak the manager.