• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Eris still a good buy.

flyinjoe13

Android Enthusiast
May 18, 2010
With cost being an issue so that I can't get the Incredible, it's come down to the Droid or Eris. I prefer the smaller form factor of the Eris. Is the Eris still a legitimate buy right now? Does it still perform well enough to use for somene who won't be a big power user? Mostly phone calls, turn by turn GPS and organization of appointments and contacts with some minor internet usage.

If you don't mind waiting a few seconds to a minute for your phone to dial a number after selecting it from your contacts, get the Eris. Or if you don't mind not being able to hear someone on the other end and them not being able to hear you, get the Eris.

Seriously, my Eris great except when I want to use it as a phone. I don't have the no volume issue, but many here do, and I suspect many more will after the full OTA update comes to fruition for everyone.

If I had the option, I'd go with the Incredible. If it's not an option because of economics, I'd wait a month or two to save up the money to afford it if it were me. It's a phone that you'll likely have for the next one or two years. Is it worth it to have a smartphone that doesn't properly function as a phone?

Reactions: flyinjoe13
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the feedback, but Buff's reply kind of scare me. I do need the phone to be a phone more than anything so if the problems are as you describe when using the phone functions, that could tip the scales towards the Droid instead. I'd much rather have the Eris for it's lightweight and size, but I do need to trust the phone functions.

Upvote 0
That scared me, but the Eris is still under a one year warranty. I bought my Eris off

craigslist. uploaded 2.1leakv3. had the audio loss problem. called Verizon customer

service and they were great, replaced the phone no questions asked under the 1 year

warranty that comes with the phone from HTC. And the fact I bought it from someone

else was no problem.

Reactions: e2r and flyinjoe13
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the feedback, but Buff's reply kind of scare me. I do need the phone to be a phone more than anything so if the problems are as you describe when using the phone functions, that could tip the scales towards the Droid instead. I'd much rather have the Eris for it's lightweight and size, but I do need to trust the phone functions.

The Eris is a fine phone. I've never had any of the problems Buff is talking about. Sound quality is excellent and the phone dials within a few seconds (1 or 2) of me clicking on a person. There will always be someone who have problems, don't let it scare you.

That said, I'd probably get an Incredible right now if I was buying a phone. Second would be the Eris. The Droid wouldn't even be on my radar screen.

Reactions: flyinjoe13
Upvote 0
I love the replies. Now go check out all the other threads where these same people are reporting about all the bugs with their updated Eris.

If you can get one and keep it stock 1.5 android, then it is a decent deal. Just read the forums here and at verizon support, then decide if you want to deal with the many "minor issues" many people are having then go for it.

Just read up before you make your purchase.
Android Devices - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

You might want to decide fast because the Eris is being dropped from Verizons product line. The hardware in it is very old.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the feedback, but Buff's reply kind of scare me.
There are probably hundreds of thousands of Eris' in the market. There are always a few on Forums who have problems - regardless of the technology. Don't let anecdotal reports sway you. Keeping 1.5 on your Eris, in spite of the fact that Verizon has rolled out 2.1 to hundreds of thousands, is plain nonsense (no offense). I'll go out on a limb here and say that if I got ahold of Buff's phone, in one hour I could probably have the issue identified and resolved to his/her satisfaction.

Upvote 0
I love the replies. Now go check out all the other threads where these same people are reporting about all the bugs with their updated Eris.

If you can get one and keep it stock 1.5 android, then it is a decent deal. Just read the forums here and at verizon support, then decide if you want to deal with the many "minor issues" many people are having then go for it.

Just read up before you make your purchase.
Android Devices - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

You might want to decide fast because the Eris is being dropped from Verizons product line. The hardware in it is very old.

I've had no issues with 2.1. In fact my phone runs faster and more stable since the upgrade. If people are having problems, it's probably due to the fact that they upgraded and didn't do a factory reset (a mistake for any operating system).

Upvote 0
If I were you, I'd wait a little longer till more Android phones come out, but up you. The Eris is still a great phone and the only difference between the Incredible and Eris is the camera and processor pretty much, not a big deal.

Camera,processor,RAM, ROM, bigger screen(Physical size and resolution wise) are all in favor of the Incredible. They actually make a huge difference. The Eris is a good enough phone and if money is an issue than get it but Id either get the Droid aor DI at this point.

Upvote 0
Love my Eris, never have had any of the issues that people talk about here. I got the OTA 2.1 and didn't even do a factory reset and it is running along as smooth as I could hope for. Maybe I don't use it as much as others do, but I do watch full length movies on it, listen to the radio and send text and pic messages all the time. I use it as a range finder for my golf game (which needs a lot more help than a simple range finder). Google nav is freaking awesome.

If you get the Eris and you have issues, take it back.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
luv my eris, especially with the 2.1 update. moto droid cums with 16gb micro sd, eris cums with an 8. not a big deal for me. if u can swing the xtra $$$ 4 the incredible then u will b happier cause its so much faster & has the amoled screen but im satisfied & sticking with my eris. dont need the physical keyboard that moto droid has either. htc eris is still the best phone i ve ever owned. i like sense 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones