Is the Evo everything you hoped for ?

Last Updated:

1. Slice28

Slice28 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Did the HTC Evo meet your expectations, did it fail to, or did it go above and beyond? What would you change about it if you had the chance?

Advertisement
  2. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Yes. In all ways really. First 4G phone so my expectations were in line.

Better?? One day, I want the same size screen but about 2 ounces lighter.

androidized likes this.
  3. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

It's well beyond what I had hoped for. So much customization it just blows my mind. I just wish the 4G signal reached my home just outside of Baltimore, but not quite yet.

4. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

I'm happy with mine. Just need some battery tweaks and wish 4g would work where I live. I am surrounded by 4g but it doesnt work in my neighborhood.

5. Fyahstarter

Fyahstarter Member

I'm perfectly satisfied. Love the speed, love the quality build & love the screen. 4g comes when it comes.

6. evoq

evoq Active Member

Nope. TOTAL letdown. Last night it made cr

ap3604 likes this.
  7. vagerson

vagerson Member

The phone is definitely everything I hoped for, I love the screen size and the speed of the phone, I wish the phone would have better battery life on 4g but I expected it to be bad on 4g since this is the first 4g phone

8. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Yes! Best Android phone out at the moment, loving it.

When 4G gets here, it'll be like owning a new device. :D

ap3604 likes this.
  9. eriico39hi

eriico39hi New Member

yes, it completely filled all of my expectations.

the one downside, which isnt the fault of the evo, is that (in my opinion) the android market doesnt have enough good apps and games for it. but that will come with time.

10. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

In most aspect, I'm very satisfied with it. In a few areas, I'm a bit disappointed. However the pros clearly outweighs the cons. :)

Putty likes this.
  11. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member

Yes. I didn't have freakishly large expectations like lots of people but what it has done is opened up my eyes to how closed Apple's system is. There's just so much more to do. It's like being born blind and then being able to see.

13. AsItLies

AsItLies Well-Known Member

Very happy with mine too. It's really the processor speed that makes everything so fast, rendering html etc.

4G is available where I am. But it's connection speed has been very erratic. a couple of times I get 4.5 mbps other times it's barely more then 1 mbps. 3G is consistently 2.5 down so just use that.

The Android os is much more intuitive then winblows, that's for sure.

14. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Phone wise it is better than I had imagined. Best smartphone by far in the game today! :)

Contract wise is another story... hence staying with my Nexus One at $50/mo contract free voice & data for the moment until another 4.3 + HDMI output + Kickstand monster comes out ;)

15. backdown

backdown Well-Known Member

Absolutely love it, and i still find new stuff about it (yay for not diving right in and finding everything about it i can). One thing i miss about my moment (only thing, really) is that if you find a number on the internet, you could click on it, and then click call..evo seems to be missing that :(

16. Skrypt

Skrypt Active Member

Yup, and more.

17. HopeofCarter

HopeofCarter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty contempt with it so far. I came from a 4 year old flip lg phone so I'm still learning, plus I'm not much a phone tech person to begin with. Just today I was in the car looking for a friend that was in the area and didn't know where exactly he was. Forgot I had the phone, looked up burger king in google maps since he was there and found him in a few mins so that was pretty handy.

I also got to make time and look into the apps. I only downloaded one so far :(

18. Jim_Phone

Jim_Phone Well-Known Member

My Evo is my first real smartphone, although I have had PDA's & feature phones that could go online before. I am pretty satisfied with the Evo and with Android in genereral. I am really enjoying using it and customizing it so far. One significant drawback however is the lack of video formats supported. My friend with a HTC HD2 can play AVI's & other video formats on his big screen smartphone. But us Android users are stuck with mp4 only basically, at least at this point. It's quite a drag to have to do work to convert files to a specific format just to play on the phone instead of just dragging and dropping our pre-exisiting already encoded files and going out the door. Hopefuly some of the developers out there are going to find a way to make other video formats work on Android & Evo soon.

19. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

Evo? Yes. Build quality? Hell no.

20. Chicago77

Chicago77 Member

*deleted reply

21. boriqua2000

boriqua2000 Well-Known Member

im extremly happy with the phone itself,what let me down was sprints 4g coverage.i live in dallas TX and before i bought the phone i was sure i would be able to get 4g where i live.well i can't.hopefully sprint isn't done with dallas and will put more towers so we can all get 4g here in dallas.

22. bosplya

bosplya Active Member

yes i am

23. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

I feel like i'm almost to the point of being able to not needing a laptop when i travel at all, just a few things i like to do that it's not quite able to as quickly and easily as a full blown pc, but it's darn close. It's everything i hoped for and more.

I used the google navigator for the first time this weekend, and it was showing exactly where i was and running smoothly across the map, while streaming pandora even out in farm land on high quality, while surfing the lady surfed the web and it never slowed down once. It was sweet to be listening to a song on pandora while she was surfing and all of the sudden the old computer voice that I though only the national weather service used anymore broke in to tell me i had to turn soon. I really hope a car cradle comes out for this big guy soon!

24. ecb

ecb Well-Known Member

Overall I'm pretty satisfied. The EVO is far from perfect, but no phone is.

The main thing I'm disappointed in is HTC Sense. It adds some great features to stock Android, but it has it's share of bugs and issues that are not present in stock Android. Overall, I'd say it's a wash between pros and cons. Given that this is the 2nd generation of Sense for Android, I expected better.

Other than that, I'm finding the EVO to be very good.

Battery life is better than I expected (after reading the horrible reviews) I've had no issues with WiFi. I live in the Philly area, but just outside the 4G coverage area. When I go into the city, I've found that the 4G speeds are very good, so I'm excited to see that network grow (though I have a feeling that when LTE is established it will be the 4G network of choice) Also, it may seem trivial, but I love the bigger screen. I think anything larger would be too cumbersome to carry, but my iPhone screen looks absolutely tiny now !

As far as Sprint (since this is my first Sprint phone) I've found that there are a few more dead spots in my area than with ATT, but the EVO does an amazing job of hanging onto a call even with a weak signal (though I believe part of the credit goes to CDMA vs GSM as I though I read that CDMA does a better job with weak signals) The only calls I have dropped with the EVO have been because I went through a dead zone. With the iPhone, I dropped calls at my home with full bars (and without even moving the phone)

I don't think there is a phone out there that performs as well as it's specs indicate it should, but the EVO is as good as any phone on the market now. There are other phones out there just as good, but none with the larger 4.3" screen.

There is enough feedback from users and the "professional" bloggers that it's very easy to make an informed decision as to if EVO is right for you.

25. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Not all I hoped for, but more than met my expectations. Im really liking Android and the Evo.