Is the G1 the right phone for a $250 budget?General

Last Updated:

1. liveify

liveify New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a blackberry right now and I find my self wanting something different and android looks awesome. On ebay I can get a decent condition unlocked tmp G1 for 170 bucks. Im on ATT btw. I really want to stay below my $250 budget.

I like the style of the G1 and I am not too concerned with memory space, I delete unused apps right away. I realize the 3g won't work but I am around wifi most of the time.

-Will

Advertisement
  2. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

I would definitely get a G1. Seeing as I'm a G1 owner myself, I love the style as well. The one gripe I have with it is the horrible battery life. Make sure to keep a charger, or an extra battery wherever you go.

You should also look into rooting it if you do get it. So much better.

3. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Why not just get a nexus one? The g1 has become ancient as far as support goes.

I don't know enough about tmobile but as far as I know you'd pay the same amount of money for both a month, and the nexus would only be 180ish for the contract.

OR if your still on ATT the backflip may not allow apps not from the market, but it's still a nice Android device for someone. Though blur is just terrible.

4. liveify

liveify New Member This Topic's Starter

I am stuck to att, family plan. I would love a nexus but I can't afford that.

Can a rogers dream(g1) or magic that has been updated with 911 fix be rooted? I can't seem to find a answer, some say yes but if its on rogers it won't work and some say no.

5. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

No, an updated Rogers Dream/Magic can't be rooted (yet).

I wouldn't buy a G1 now. See if you can find a hero or a better phone. If you plan to buy a Magic, make sure it's a 32A phone. The G1 and the 32B Magic are out of date.