General Is the HTC One S's space-age coating as durable as it seems?

1. Stuart P

Stuart P Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. bigt

bigt Well-Known Member

I have a tiny 'chip', like in the photo in the article, on the front edge near the headphone jack
  3. hype313

hype313 Member

4. Stuart P

not too many replies. so i guess nothing to worry about
  5. as439726

as439726 Well-Known Member

HTC is working on it. Contact them for replacement
  6. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

Big discussions on xda - go there for more info
    as439726 likes this.
  7. as439726

Soupdragon is dead on.
    Thanks bud
  8. Stuart P

ok so there is quite a big problem
  9. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Member

I got mine on launch day. I've been using it ever since without a case and haven't got a single scratch. I honestly believe it's a rare situation and I think a lot of people are over-exaggerating. Or maybe I'm just lucky?
  10. Sprawlsy

Sprawlsy Active Member

Mine arrived on Friday but had a chip/dent on the righthand side, where the screen meets the plastic on the edge of the handset...not on the metal part of the casing.

DSCF2846 - Copy(1).JPG

Orange are sending out a replacement on Tuesday so fingers crossed it's ok.
  11. sloveridge

sloveridge Member

I've had my One S for only one week from T-Mobile UK. It
  12. sloveridge

sloveridge Member

Update.

With regards to the chipping issue, HTC have acknowledged the problem:

"HTC is committed to delivering a high quality product and great experience for all our customers. There have been a few, isolated reports of this issue. The finish on the One S was laboratory tested as being at a hardness similar to ceramic. While that
  13. Stuart P

if this does turn out to be an 'issue' on a
  14. as439726

I strongly suggest contacting HTC directly. They have always been more than willing to help when I've needed it.
  15. sloveridge

sloveridge Member

Replacement One S from T-Mobile arrives tomorrow, so I will see if its coating is any more durable; however, T-Mobile have no clue as to which handsets come from MOA processing batch. If the coating fails again I will take it up direct with HTC.
  16. Stuart P

hopefully it will be from a new batch? guessing the original batch would still be affected like yours
  17. sloveridge

sloveridge Member

Having rasied this issue with HTC UK, their response was:

Dear Steve Loveridge,

Thank you for your reply to my email regarding the cermaic casing chipping off your HTC One S for which you have got a replacement.

No official statement has been made by HTC on this issue, but please keep your eye on the official HTC.com web page and linked Twitter feeds and Facebook pages for any official HTC statements.

I hope you are enjoying your new phone nad have no further issues.

Althouigh I have seen a statement from HTC made a statement via a number of websites (see earlier post), but it does not appear to be formally recognized by HTC UK.
  18. as439726

That's just silly
  19. as439726

Hopefully it's fixed in the U.S. variants
  20. beefy505

beefy505 Member

Mine has started chipping around the charging socket, you can see the silver coming through!!
  21. as439726

Beefy, which carrier did you get it from? I only ask because I hear rumors that the third production run (the american variants) have fixed the problem.
    Contact HTC and they will replace it buddy.
  22. kawasaki69

kawasaki69 Member

Had my black One-s since launch so nearly 3 weeks now. Not using a case and keep the phone in shirt or trouser pocket (no keys in pocket at same time though)....finish is still as new, no scratches or chips, very pleased with it so far. Haven't dropped it yet, which is the acid test I suppose but it seems rugged enough for normal use.
  23. pauled

pauled Member

Mine had a small chip within an hour (only put in pocket not dropped) emailed HTC they said get it exchanged. Replacement is 3 days old and ok so far...
  24. noz81

noz81 Member

I have the same issue on my 3 week old One S. Who is it best to contact to sort a replacement; HTC directly and if so, how. Or my provider which is O2uk?
  25. pauled

pauled Member

I contacted HTC hoping they would replace it (and it be from a different batch maybe) but they said they can't and has to be store purchased from. hope you sort it ok :)