• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the iBolt still the best car dock for the S4?

tspangle88

Mar 31, 2010
I just picked up an S4, coming from an HTC Rezound, which I used extensively in my F-150, mostly Waze for traffic and Torque for engine monitoring. So a good dock is important to me. I currently have a ProClip with an AMPS mount in the truck that my Rezound dock is attached to. I've done quite a bit of searching, and from what I've seen, folks seem to like the iBolt ProDock the best:

Amazon.com: iBOLT xProDock Active Car Dock/Holder/Mount for Samsung Galaxy S 3, S4 & Note 2 with aux-out to car-speakers. Works with ALL cases: Cell Phones & Accessories

But it seems to have some issues with activating car mode and with the connector putting a strain on the usb plug on the phone.

As popular as these phones are, it's hard for me to believe there's not a better car dock on the market for them. Am I missing one?

That looks like it's more designed for a horizontal (landscape) use, which is stupid, IMHO, at least if you use your phone for GPS.

I'm currently using the Ram mount, and NFC to change to/from docking mode.

RAM Cradle Holder - Universal X-Grip

I like the fact that it's more universal.

The wife is using one of the generic Proclip mounts, and since that is somewhat adjustable, it also is better than a custom mount, IMHO. We have too many cars to be changing mounts every time we change phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones