Is the Moment wiggly at all? Or is it solid?Support

Last Updated:

1. jonathan likes android

jonathan likes android Member This Topic's Starter

I like solid phones. I understand there are moving parts, but I had a Pre and when it was slid closed any swipe on the screen would cause the top layer of the phone to wiggle. It felt loose.

Is the Moment solid? Does it give or feel wiggly when closed (or even open? Usually sliders lock slid open so closed away is where the problem is).

Thanks. My Sprint store still doesn't have a demo unit out.

Advertisement
  2. yourm0m1

yourm0m1 Active Member

its pretty solid, one thing i have noticed is if you kind of drag your finger to slide home screens you can move the slider a bit which i dont prefer....but when open there is very very minimal play

3. mr.menendez

mr.menendez Active Member

Solid. This coming from ex hero user. I like this phone much more

4. kayawire

kayawire Well-Known Member

'm also a ex hero user ...this beast is solid as a rock...ask me again in 3 months time lol...if it lasts for a year I will be mighty happy since I'm a premium customer and will upgrade to da latest and greatest! ....gotta love sprint

5. billbunton

billbunton Active Member

It's pretty solid, though closed it actually has slightly more wiggle than my Pre, which has none at all. And by slightly I mean very slight, barely noticeable.

6. jonathan likes android

jonathan likes android Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, it seemed to vary. Some were baaaad (like mine), others lucked out.

Thanks for the info everyone, hopefully they have one out to try today. If not I'll just buy it anyway, I'm sure I'll like it.

7. vincarrillo

vincarrillo Member

The other posters are correct, the Moment does wiggle when closed, but you have to intentionally wiggle it. This phone is very well made, and unfortunately a lot of reviews I have read and seen (videos) about this phone being ugly or plain were way off. Apparently those folks were expecting a Baywatch babe with a keyboard on her chest to jump out of the box.

8. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

I prefer a phone people think is plain and boring. You are much less likely to end up with a 'missing' phone that way.

9. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

I'd say I have at most a 0.5 mm play side to side. I haven't got a good measurement tool set to try that out with, so it's a guesstimate, but it's solid :)

10. Weeton

Weeton Active Member

I just got my moment; after being on the pre for three months, i must say this is a solid build compared to the pre. i've had a chance to play with the motocliq as well and i'd say this build is better than that. to be fair though, i wasn't a fan of the demo unit at my sprint store, but i trusted my gut and got one anyways. its definitely a solid phone.

11. slag02

slag02 Member

the sprint displays really jackup the phones

12. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

The moment is definitely one of the more solid and well built phones ive ever seen great phone. Mine doesn't wiggle.

13. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Yeah, the display models almost always represent the actual model as cheap and awkward feeling.

14. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member

I had the Pre and exchanged it 3 times due to various issues. Every Pre I had had some degreeof wiggle and it was noticeable. Although the Moment is a tad clunky, it is very solid. It does have a small amount of play but this is normal. The Moment does not feel flimsy like the Pre did and I'm very happy with the physical build quality so far.

15. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member

I should mention that u have to actually wiggle the top part of the phone yourself to feel that little bit of play I mentioned. Otherwise you wouldn't notice it at all.

16. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

If there is any chance you can switch to verizon (no ETF or anything) and want a solidly built phone, get the Droid. It is hands down the most solidly built phone i have ever held in my life. Not just most solid slide but flip, slide, candy bar, twist, anything. The build quality on this phone is second to none IMO.

17. vincarrillo

vincarrillo Member

Not in this lifetime, and any company that throws millions of dollars of advertising at one product, is hiding something - look at the iPhone. It turns out not to be that great of a product after all, especially compared to the Samsung Moment with a faster processor, better screen, and physical keyboard.

I was with Verizon twice; initially and after leaving Cingular (now ATT). Pricing was bloated, phone selection was horrible, and customer service was a joke. Been with Sprint for eight months and not one dropped call (I travel throughout SoCal monthly), love the Samsung Moment, unlimited data, text, and calling - come on, how the heck can you beat that for $100 on a business phone?

When my Sprint HTC Touch Pro turned out to be a piece of crap, no questions asked Sprint sent me a replacement with a box to ship the bad phone. Even gave me a $25 credit on the cheaply made charger that was not a replaceable item. In stark contrast I bricked my Samsung SCH-i730 doing a valid Windows update when I was with Verizon and they wanted to bill me full price for a replacement phone that I would not receive for 3 days! When I am paying $130 a month and the carrier wants to nickel and dime me for every little thing AND their customer service sucks AND their phone selection sucks, see ya!

18. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

It is funny how two peoples experience can be so different. I have now left sprint for poor customer service twice lol (most recent was a week ago today). But I am glad you are happy with them. Btw droid has a 480x854 resolution 3.7 inch display to the moments 320x489 3.2 inch screen. Its processor is a little slower but it has a discreet graphics processor, and, I have to say it, physical keyboard? DroidDoes. Ok I'm done posting in your thread. I'm sure you'll love the moment, it seems like a great phone and is deffinently what I would have gotten had I chosen to stay with sprint. Just wamted to offer an opinion, then had to clear up misinformation about an awesome phone (this screen is gorfeous)

19. msalivar

msalivar Member

Yeah, the droid is solid, sleek, and has 2.0, but the keyboard is worthless. There's no key differentiation at all.

20. vincarrillo

vincarrillo Member

Great! And I understand where you are coming from however keep in mind Verizon kept some (purposely of course) crucial info out of its massive marketing campaign; the Droid, HTC (pretty much all models) and even the iPhone, are still using color transflective TFT screens. So no matter how much cool software they through at the GPU to 'make' it appear better, it cannot match the inherent OLED technology.

OLED = brighter/better contrast, better power efficiency, light weight, less components (better for the environment) better viewing angles, excellent for video/motion, subpar daylight rendering

TFT = based on old tech (circa 1980), good contrast, excellent for video/motion, good daylight rendering, high power consumption, heavy, more components (recycling nightmare)

The "heavy" part of the TFT is probably why the Droid (170g) weighs more than the Moment, and the Moment (161g) is only slightly larger than the Droid (depth-wise).

So I'll give you the cool interface even though it does nothing for me, but apparently the masses need a toy more than a communication device, I'll give you the greater screen real estate, and I'll even throw in the higher MP camera. But all considered, the Samsung Moment is the sleeper hit of the cell phone world.