is the nexus one allready rooted?

Last Updated:

1. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so like, could i just download pdanet and tether right out the box or do i need to root it in order to do that?

also, why are people so scared to root their phones? isnt there a way to flash the phone with default software if something goes bad and start over from scratch?

Advertisement
  2. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

Do you need to root for pdanet? I installed right off the market on my phone and on my computer just haven't tried to use it yet. Being new to Android I would also like to know the backup question.

3. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

the phone doesn't come pre-rooted, but Google made it extremely easy to root, just know that rooting does void your warranty, so if you bought the phone unsubsidized some might be hesitant to root since it means if anything goes wrong you are stuck.

It's all of 1 line in the command prompt to unlock the bootloader and allow you to load whatever you want onto the phone.

EDIT: Unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty, and at the moment it cannot be relocked, even with a flash.

4. seeking

is there a tutorial on how to do this? also, what could possibly go wrong by doing this?

5. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

Nexus One Android Development - xda-developers

Enjoy :)

Also at the moment there really is no way of bricking the device since you aren't messing with the SPL like you had to on the G1 and MyTouch. Just unlock, add custom recovery then flash to your hearts content.

6. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

Do you have to root thought to use PDANET? Everything I found says no but I haven't ran the installation yet because I don't want to use my trial as of yet.

7. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

People are scared becuase they arent sure if theyll be able to get back to stock...or if the phone will be scrutinized for root if a warranty issue takes place.

But Root is out. Until sdk for 2.1 is out pretty useless unless you need tether.

8. seeking

thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it

9. ShotSkydiver

ShotSkydiver Well-Known Member

Now that the 2.1 SDK is out, we should see more interesting things done with root access, like system-wide multitouch. :D

10. seeking

thats what im waiting for