Is the nexus one java enabled?

Last Updated:

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Was wondering if anyone knew if this phone has java? I just started researching this phone and cannot find the answer.

Advertisement
  2. Viralmind

Viralmind Well-Known Member

3. gerryk

gerryk Well-Known Member

Android is pretty much just a Linux kernel with all of userspace being run on a JVM, or, more specifically, lots of JVMs.

The reality is a little more detailed, but for the most part, anything you can run on Android will be written in Java.

4. jrard44

jrard44 New Member

Ok, hold on one second. I have a feeling that what you really are asking is "Is the Nexus One J2ME enabled. J2ME is a java implementation developed by Sun that is available on many phones. However, Android is not a J2ME implementation. Google basically made up their own Java implementation.

So if you are looking to use games or other apps that are J2ME, these will not work on the Nexus One, or any other Android phone that I am aware of.

The problem is that the term "Java" is a bit ambiguous when used by itself. Android apps are built using the Java programming language, but Android does not provide a Java Runtime Environment for Android that is compatible with Sun's standard and implementation. Hope that helps.