Is the Nexus One the only stock Android device?

Last Updated:

1. King_Sickness

King_Sickness Member This Topic's Starter

I got my first Android device a few weeks ago, the MyTouch Slide. At first I was in awe by the phone just because it had Android. Now I see so many things wrong with it just in the fact that HTC Sense and all other custom UIs are just dumbed down versions of Android with all these preinstalled apps that you can't remove. There are so many reasons on why I would prefer a stock Android device over something like the MyTouch Slide that has all this preinstalled bloatware that you can't remove (unless you Root). Basically no custom UI will ever be as powerful or customizable as stock Android.

So my question is, is the Nexus One the only stock Android device to date? Will there ever be another stock android device released? In all honesty, I will NEVER buy another phone in the future unless it is running on stock Android. My perfect device would be the Nexus One because it's Google's device and gets updates first, however what it the successor comes out in the next 6 months? That would suck.

I really want to ditch my current phone and get a Nexus One but I would feel stupid if a new one came out anytime soon. Also, even though Froyo adds a lot of speed to the OS, I feel that the Nexus One would feel the biggest boost because it doesn't have preinstalled bloatware constantly running in the background and its just stock.

Advertisement
  2. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

I believe the Droid is vanilla Android. We won't see another Nexus device at least until 3.0 comes around, and I don't think we'll see another Google phone till next year at the earliest.

3. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Vanilla Androids that I know of:

My touch 3g
    Nexus 1
    Samsung Moment
    Motorola Droid
    Samsung Intercept (Moment 2)
    T-Mobile G1

I think just those are the vanilla breed of android

4. The K-Zoo Kid

The K-Zoo Kid Well-Known Member

Google said there won't be another google phone..

5. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

6. King_Sickness

What's Vanilla Android?

And yes Google will eventually release another phone. They DON'T need another phone right now to develop on because the Nexus One's hardware is still up to date. But when it starts to fall behind and can't keep up with their updates they will release a new phone. It might not be the Nexus Two but it will be their next phone, trust me. It makes perfect sense. The Nexus One is still the best Android phone simply because it's Googles baby.

7. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Vanilla Android is stock android, no addins

8. King_Sickness

If all these phones are running on Vanilla android how come they don't all get 2.2 then the Nexus does? I really want a Nexus One but I want to buy it in person, not online. And not for $529.

9. stuckpig

stuckpig Well-Known Member

You want a vanilla 'droid? I have an HTC Droid Eris that run's HTC's Sense UI-- from what I saw of the MyTouch it is just a re-skinned version of Sense. This is what I did to my Eris:

menu -> settings -> applications -> manage applications...

scroll until you find HTC Sense UI...

> Clear Data
    > Clear Defaults
    > Force Close

Then hit your home key-- check the box for 'set as default' and then touch 'Home (Android home application)'

Voila.