• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the One-Click Lag Fix EXT2 partition removed on firmware upgrade?

MariusLV

Lurker
Oct 31, 2010
First off: I'm sorry to come to the forum with this most foolish of self-inflicted problems. I realize that I have no reason to expect help here, having never contributed to the forum before. I should also warn you that my problem, should you still choose to read it, is quite technical. I elaborate below :)

Now, I know one shouldn't upgrade the phone with the lag fix installed, but like a fool I completely forgot all the warnings when I recently upgraded my phone. While at first my phone refused to boot to home screen, doing a "wipe data/factory reset" from the recovery menu restored most functionality. The update seems to have sort of worked, because when I connect to KIES it tells me I now have the latest version (ECLAIR.XVJM2).

Anyway, what I'm wondering about is this: Having first upgraded my phone's firmware (to ECLAIR.XWJM2) and then having reset the phone to factory settings, does the EXT2 partition installed by OCLF still exist? I reinstalled the OCLF app, and when I try the "Undo OneClickLagFix" from the menu, it tells me that "You do not appear to have a lagfix installed. (/system/bin/playlogos1 greater than 5KB". However, I worry if I can trust this to be true since I never properly uninstalled the lagfix, and since I reinstalled OCLF only after the update and factory reset.

I checked the size of the phones internal SD card via the phone's settings menu, and it tells me that the total space is 5.78GB. Given that the phone supposedly shipped with 8GB space, and given that 2GB is supposedly set as read-only phone memory, that leaves 0.22GB unaccounted for. Is it possible that this is the EXT2-partition, or is there another explanation for this? It would of course be helpful if I remembered what size I set for the partition when I first used OCLF, but, alas, I don't. Also, to the extent that it's relevant, I have in excess of 1.8GB of unused "internal phone storage".

I hope that somebody might help me determine for sure whether or not the EXT2 partition is still there, so that I know I shouldn't expect problems when I eventually upgrade to Froyo. If the EXT2-partition is still there, since the OCLF app doesn't seem to detect it, how may I remove it?

I am wondering the same thing. After the last update, I did a factory reset (the power on while holding the volume buttons thing). After reinstalling OCLF I get the following notices. Seems that it simultaneously thinks the lagfix has and has not been installed.

snap20101101_130342.png

snap20101101_130354.png

snap20101101_130406.png

Upvote 0
I am wondering the same thing. After the last update, I did a factory reset (the power on while holding the volume buttons thing). After reinstalling OCLF I get the following notices. Seems that it simultaneously thinks the lagfix has and has not been installed.

Having been in touch with someone on another forum I think I got I bit wiser.

If I understand things correctly, you should be able to determine if the EXT2 partition installed by OCLF is still there by checking the internal phone memory to see if there is more than one gigabyte left. Apparently this would indicate that the EXT2 partition is gone. Of course, I'm quite clueless myself, and I have no way of determining if what I'm telling you is actually true, but if indeed the lag fix works by shrinking the internal phone memory to create space for the EXT2 partition this all does seem to make sense. Of course, if you set the size of the EXT2 partition to a different size and/or installed a lot of apps since the factory reset the amount of free space to check for should be different.

Perhaps you should also check the total storage of the internal SD card. If all the storage space that the phone shipped with is accounted for, I suppose that would mean there is no EXT2 partition any more? What do you think?

Upvote 0
First off: I'm sorry to come to the forum with this most foolish of self-inflicted problems. I realize that I have no reason to expect help here, having never contributed to the forum before. I should also warn you that my problem, should you still choose to read it, is quite technical. I elaborate below :)

Now, I know one shouldn't upgrade the phone with the lag fix installed, but like a fool I completely forgot all the warnings when I recently upgraded my phone. While at first my phone refused to boot to home screen, doing a "wipe data/factory reset" from the recovery menu restored most functionality. The update seems to have sort of worked, because when I connect to KIES it tells me I now have the latest version (ECLAIR.XVJM2).

Anyway, what I'm wondering about is this: Having first upgraded my phone's firmware (to ECLAIR.XWJM2) and then having reset the phone to factory settings, does the EXT2 partition installed by OCLF still exist? I reinstalled the OCLF app, and when I try the "Undo OneClickLagFix" from the menu, it tells me that "You do not appear to have a lagfix installed. (/system/bin/playlogos1 greater than 5KB". However, I worry if I can trust this to be true since I never properly uninstalled the lagfix, and since I reinstalled OCLF only after the update and factory reset.

I checked the size of the phones internal SD card via the phone's settings menu, and it tells me that the total space is 5.78GB. Given that the phone supposedly shipped with 8GB space, and given that 2GB is supposedly set as read-only phone memory, that leaves 0.22GB unaccounted for. Is it possible that this is the EXT2-partition, or is there another explanation for this? It would of course be helpful if I remembered what size I set for the partition when I first used OCLF, but, alas, I don't. Also, to the extent that it's relevant, I have in excess of 1.8GB of unused "internal phone storage".

I hope that somebody might help me determine for sure whether or not the EXT2 partition is still there, so that I know I shouldn't expect problems when I eventually upgrade to Froyo. If the EXT2-partition is still there, since the OCLF app doesn't seem to detect it, how may I remove it?

I had the same problem. Did a "wipe data/factory reset" from the recovery menu, reinnstalled OCLF and everything runs smooth :) So it seems that a "wipe data/factory reset" wipes all, incl the EXT2 partiotion.

Upvote 0
I usually enter this code *2767*3855# at the dialer to do "factory format" and reinstall the phone firmware. does this has the exact same result or effects as what you did for "wipe data/factory reset from the recovery menu" ? I am having problem to undo lagfix. The app said i do not have a playlogos1 file! When i tried to use "restore boot animation", it said "finished successfully". Then i tried to undo the lagfix again, it said the same thing. Do you think i have to do a factory format just to undo the lagfix? Very sorry, i am very new to all of this and i am not a "technical guy". I'll appreciate any help from you guys. Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones