Is the OTA 2.1 able to be rooted yet

Last Updated:

1. takeyouriphoneandshoveit

takeyouriphoneandshoveit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had to return my rooted droid eris due to a loose power wire messing with my trackball. On the new eris, I used the official ota update that verizon finally after months of waiting released. I am wondering if this version has been rooted yet. And is it possible to change the dialer without it being rooted. I was able to change the boot screen without it being rooted and wanted to know if I could customize other things also or if the boot screen was the only thing I could customize.

Advertisement
  2. abn75

abn75 Well-Known Member

ok, first search is your friend...especially when one of these threads is right on the first page of the root section. secondly, if you do not have the updated hboot version you can root.

3. takeyouriphoneandshoveit

takeyouriphoneandshoveit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

all i know is that the new eris came wit 1.5 and there was a system update for it, and it updated it to 2.1.

4. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

Read the rooting guide. No use in repeating what it already explains.

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Turn your phone off.

Press the "Send" and "End/Power" buttons simultaneously until the screen comes on.

Read the top two lines in the display on the phone. Better yet, write them down on a piece of paper, not approximately, but exactly, character for character. (Or take a picture of it, if you like).

If the second line contains the string 1.46.(something) or 1.47.(something), then your phone can be rooted with the instructions given in the sticky guide at the top of this forum - IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER IT IS THE 1.5 or 2.1 OS VERSION - IT CAN BE ROOTED USING THOSE SAME INSTRUCTIONS.

if the second line contains the string 1.49.0000, the the first line will certainly contain the string "S-ON". If this is the case YOUR PHONE CAN NOT BE ROOTED

If the second line contains the string 1.49.2000, the first line will certainly contain the string "S-OFF". If this is the case your phone already has the root bootloader on it.

Hope that helps

eu1

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hi, again, takeyouriphoneandshoveit (interesting user name ;)). Welcome to the forums.

This same query was posted by you in another, earlier thread, and responded to:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/104710-ota-2-1-able-rooted-yet.html

I'm not sure why you started a second thread with the same exact question; did you have trouble finding your first post? That can happen to a user new to the forums.