Is the SGS capable of barcode scanning? + flashlightSupport

Last Updated:

1. Kalle99

Kalle99 Active Member

Aware that not all Android apps work on all Android phones, I have the following questions:

1. Is the SGS capable of scanning barcodes? If so, does it use the camera?

2. Is the SGS compatible with any of the numerous flashlight apps I see posted? Does the screen provide the light, or is it through the camera lens?

All replies are most appreciated

Advertisement
  2. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member

Evry barcode scanner uses the camera (how else is it gonna see the barcode)

The galaxy s has no flash it's 2 bad because the camera qualaty is awsome and what do you mean with does the screen provide the light
  3. androidmog

androidmog Well-Known Member

There are several android apps that will use the screen to enable you to use the galaxy S as a flashlight. Basically it will just give you a bright white screen that chucks out a lot of light. Many will allow you to vary the brightness and even the colour. I use one and it is quite adequate for finding my way round in a darkened bedroom etc.
  4. Kalle99

Kalle99 Active Member

Thanks for your reply re the flashlight. Now I know!
  5. Denniizzz

Denniizzz Active Member

yups the flashlight is using the screen. you have with in different colours and even different paterns like a police blue/red flashing or a dizzymaking black/white bullseye etc.

i have the barcodescanner and yes it uses your camera but no it doesn't work at my phone. i think it's because the code is to close to the camera so it can't be focussed correctly.
    anyone has an solution for that?
  6. Kalle99

Kalle99 Active Member

Thank you all for your replies. My questions may be naive as before getting my SGS, I had never seen. much less used, a Droid phone.

I thought that maybe some phone models had a separate lens of short focal length specifically for barcode scanning. This would address the focus issues I see commented on in the blogs. Also, knowing that some digital cameras have a light source used for fousing, I thought it possible that this might be a light used for the flashlight.

Anyway, thanks again for thre replies. I feel smarter now!
  7. wunay

wunay Well-Known Member

I have used my SGS for barcode scanning quite effectively. It does not read ALL barcodes but try it using on a CD or DVD, it has worked for me in that respect every time.
  8. Kalle99

Kalle99 Active Member

OK! This launches the next set of questions:

What is/are the best barcode scanner apps around for the basic scanning function, and then...
    more of a coimputer question, what kinds of pc databaes woiuld typically interface with this. I realize that this is ore of a pc/database question, so if it's inappropriate to post it here, just let me know (gebtly p[lease) and I'll retreat.
  9. Denniizzz

Denniizzz Active Member

for as i know of type in the google market something like barcode scanning or just barcode and you see some apps. choose the best rated one ? :)
  10. vitinho

vitinho New Member

I think quickmark is quite good, and it's free...
  11. Kalle99

Kalle99 Active Member

Thanksw Denizzz & Vitinho!
  12. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Or just use Google goggle.