Is the SGS software bad? Can you wipe it?Support

Last Updated:

1. ashatron

ashatron Member This Topic's Starter

hi all.

Im selling my iphone (sick of doing everything the apple way) and im gonna get an android handset. Ive been looking at the SGS, HTC Desire, Droid X (although it is big) and some others (i think the Desire HD looks great, but its a bit too expensive and a bit big).
    Recommendations welcome :)

I hear the software on the Samsung Galaxy S is awful, losing wifi, losing signal, not connecting to pcs at all. Is it really that bad?

I wonder, can i get an SGS, wipe the crap software off and put a completely different ROM on it? like cyanogenmod? (can i put HTC Sense on it?
    Would this clear up all the software issues?

secondly, does the SGS actually have GPS? i read one thing that says it does, and then another that says it doesnt :/

Finally would you recommend a SGS or should i consider another device? The SGS seems like an absolute bargain, very powerful for the money, its just the software that worrys me, but if that's completely fixable then im interested.

Hope you can help.

ps, i read posts about samsung not updating their devices, would i be right in thinking this does not matter if im using custom ROMS?

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Roms from different android phones are not compatible. You cannot install a HTC ROM on a Galaxy S, or vice versa. There are custom roms out there (no cyanogen yet) that you can try out.

Galaxy S does have GPS, and many of us actually haven't encountered any of the above problems. Browsing forums tend to give you a negative image since only people who have problems come onto forums to complain.

3. ashatron

ashatron Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply mate! Im really struggling to get information on this subject.

So would you recommend it? seems like a bargain, with the lag fix addition in particular.

some say it feels light and plasticy, i better get to my local shop to have a feel. I wonder if the other versions of it (captivate) feel any better, more weighty perhaps.

What Roms work on the SGS? cyanongenMOD?

thanks again :)

4. rizzla

rizzla Well-Known Member

1. The roms differ depending on the carrier version of Galaxy s phone. this might help.

Anything Can Do!: Samsung Galaxy S Custom ROMs List (10/29)

I'm using Tayutama, flashed that today, so far so good, not tried the GPS out on it yet. everything else seems to work ok, not even bothered to install the lagfix as I'm really not seeing any.